Survival network is it real?

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Crazy, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Crazy

Crazy Monkey+++

I had a long drive this weekend (9 hrs) and was thinking about the idea of survival only working in a community. It doesn’t matter what the reason is, no gas, no electricity (EMP), or government shutdown. Unless we are already friends and I trust you a lot we are not going to team up and create a community. If it all hits the fan my community is going to be people I already know. Neighbors, folks from church, families from my kids school. people I have watched for years and know. But even this is not true. In a true total meltdown five miles is a long way to consider staying connected over. If we don’t live within a mile or two we might as well be in different states.
    I live on the edge of a large city I will not be able to grow food until about 80% of the population has left or died. All the deer will be killed within a month of people getting hungry. As far as water, as soon as the power goes out the water will stop.
    All of that to say unless we already live together in a community before anything happens. People are going to hunker down in family units until the population can be supported by the land.
    Let me know what your thoughts are.

Mnrees, Alanaana, crowdaddy and 3 others like this.
  2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Park squirrels and ducks, fish, rats, bugs, stray dogs and cats, food is there just not packaged.

crowdaddy, VisuTrac, 3cyl and 6 others like this.
  3. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

I agree. There are those who think they'll live off the land (and those they can take from) which is terrifically naive and lacking in experience. Camping once in a while for even weeks is not the same as having to do without, or take it if found. The priorities are shelter, food, water, then equipment. Equipment won't be easily replaced. I also agree about the size of communities if the SHTF and infrastructure collapses. Lack of the means to simply motor in to Gresham (only nine miles away) to shop will be a real stopper, as well as safety from human predators. And we all know human predators are far more dangerous than any animal species. So your local community will have to step up its game and learn to function as a much smaller society than before, simply to be able to provide some measure of security from those human predators. The idea of wandering the wasteland like "The Postman" or "Eli" is an attractive and romantic idea, but that only works well in the movies. The "John Matherson" series by William Forstchen that starts with "One Second After" is an excellent modern primer.

crowdaddy, OldDude49 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

You can put food away, for example buying a freeze drier and putting your own stuff away as it goes on sale or as you can afford it.
    You can stock up on ammo, and arms as you can afford them, inherit stuff and so on.
    You can practice your survival skills by taking classes in person and on line, and practice on your own.
    What you cannot do is stay up 24x7x365, nor overcome overwhelming odds. Being in a group obviously improves your odds plus shares the burden for any watches, physical labor, etc.

As I age, physical conditioning is also very important.

5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

It sounds a lot more realistic for you to hunker down than to trek to a BOL. I think of these types of things too because my parents have limited mobility and wouldn't be able to evacuate their home very easily.
    You would definitely want to stock up on food, water, and know multiple methods of water purification just in case the water supply gets shut off or contaminated.
    Also, fortify your home and up your security. Of course those are just the very basic necessities and there's a lot more that goes into preparing to shelter in place.

CraftyMofo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7