Survivalistis get ready for meltdown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BuckBall, May 1, 2008.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Im just a cheap hillbilly! I keep the freezers and pantry stocked for times cant afford the store and keep more food in the garden and on the hoof to save money. I shoot because I like to and to keep in practice for hunting free food.

Most folks like the idea of saveing money and avoiding the need of handouts and dont find anything threatening about it. The BOBs are just because I dont like being caught needing stuff and not haveing it.

The particularly 'odd' things like pulling out the mess kit and alcohol stove to cook dinner on the balcony of the hotel just falls under the 'hillbilly' part and just gets a few odd looks then life goes on.

2. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

I take my German esbit stove out every so often and cook with it. Being in Wisconsin, my garden is limited and so it keeps me fed throughout the winter. However, by the end of Spring, I'm in need of food again. Unfortunately, my garden isn't all that large.

As with anyone, my BOB is stashed and sitting just in case. I find I have to update my medical supplies once every 2 years (meds mostly), but I'm g2g if need be.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Being a native Floridian, and with Hurricane Season fast approaching - I can stock up my "Hurricane Preps" without too much undue attention.
    Though at Wally's I was exasperated when the sporting goods clerk asked if I was a 'survivalist' - all I had on the counter was a box of .38 Spcl, two boxes of CCI minimags, a two-burner gas camping stove, and four Mountain House packets. Yep - that'll get me by a long time..... [ROFL]

4. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

That clerk has an eye for detail lol

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Can't help asking what you told him besides NOYB. Smelly sort of question. I think I might have said, "No, but I can camp for an indefinite period and not miss much comfort."

6. toemag

toemag Monkey++

I would have given him the secret nod and wink and asked him to keep it down, as everyone doesn't need to know, loose lips sink ships. Who knows maybe he is a wannabe and wanted some advice or wanted to make you a Survivalist special.

If someone asks me why I have a BOB and belt order set up ready to go, I always laugh at myself, damn, should of hid them in the cupboard before bringing guests into the basement, and make some joke about having spent to much time in the Military, which explains a lot about me, and my camping stuff is in there. Be prepared, ready to go.

From my experience the BOB rotational check needs to be done yearly, and any new gismo gadget tried and tested before replacing the BOB active item. Shoot I'll bet that some of us have BOB primary's and BOB secondary's. Most medications will remain stable if packed and kept in a cool place, the manufacturer should be able to provide you with more details on that one though. You could get in touch with the Original R&D manufacturer and claim to have heard that a Generic manufacturer has claimed that their meds are good for longer, please check to see that the patent has run out prior to making that enquiry though.

Tony

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7