Surviving these tough economic times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

burns don 'it The coke goes up the snout!!!

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, ours has been more trying to find money TO stretch. The step son had been getting survivors benifits but that stopped a couple months ago, Tina had been working as a nanny but that stopped when school let out and due to the economy they wont be able to afford her back in the fall. I have been working with a local guy that has a lawn care company while trying to find more profitable employment but due to gas prices he has taken to doing most of it on his own to make up the difference in gas price by elimenating labor cost so now only get 1 day a week at that for the houshold income.

Soooo, we bargain hunt our groceries and stretch them as much as possible and try to keep the garden going good. I have been continueing to look for a real job. We tend to try to avoid going to town unless we can do several things while there, also carpool with friends some of the time to run errands in town (15 miles from town kind of elimenates the bycicle or walking options). Since Tina cant work (arthritus in both knees and hips, screwed up foot, cartalige in hip and knees gone, etc barely lets her walk most days and now on a cane) she is going for her disability. Range time has been GREATLY reduced and is almost exclusively limited to .22 shooting. Have started doing custom leather holsters to try to sell. May be moveing an aquantance into our camper so can get a bit of rent to help out. Then due to the finances there has also been a lot of the bills falling behind but thats got to get fixed soon.

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I took a job this year that about killed me when I first started there....Just so I could have Major Medical, Dental, Vision and Disability Insurance....for under $25 a week , rather than the over $500 a month I was paying for COBRA ......(of course the job may send me to needing the disability.... ;) )

I am so good at turning everything off when I leave a room, or the house...(My light bill is about $70 lower than it was last year this time...) I've found that I can survive at 80 degrees inside as easily as I could at 68 degrees....Notice I didn't say I like it. Luckily, we keep it at 67 degrees at work and I'm there 5 days a week...

Like Tracy, I cut coupons....lots of coupons. I've cut my grocery bill by about 65%.....and the city I live in , everything is really close, so I shop 3 different grocery stores too, for the best buys....

I bought a smaller car...without all the fancy stuff. And get incredible gas mileage....I don't travel home as much as I want to....and that one hurts the most. I miss my daughter. I miss my friends. I miss going to as many concerts as I'd like to go to....

I shop the Goodwill, and Catholic Charities , thrift stores for everything...Pots, Pans, Clothes, Books, etc.....I joined the library too, finally. I spent soooooo much on books it was getting ridiculous. I'll still buy a book that I'll keep and learn from...but reading for pleasure? It comes from either Good Cents, or the Library....

Growing veggies in my back yard...Some in containers, some in the ground...Have to look at that, because it was so dry earlier in the year, I think my water bill may have cut any savings I had on the ones in the ground....It went way up. Yikes. We have more than one growing season here, and thinking the containers will be the way to go...Less water usage.

I'm sure there's more....just having a blonde moment and don't wanna think anymore right now...

[tongue]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7