Survivor McGyver- Engineering # 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

“one man's trash is another man's treasure”

Everything pictured was found at one time or another on the side of the road with the exception of the can of tuna.
    Picture 039.

Picture 040.

2 Bungie cords
    A box knife
    A straight slot screwdriver
    A Bic lighter-works
    A small roll of electrical tape
    4 Tie wraps
    A hatchet head
    A pigtail for a trailer harness
    A empty plastic water bottle
    A spool of thread
    A shovel with a shortened handle
    A can of tuna.

If SHTF and one has to scrounge would you have picked up these items? What uses would you have for them?

Hanzo, bonebrake, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I would have picked them up with JOY.Wow what a treasure trove. Box knife, along with the hatchet head would be used to fashion a serviceable handle for the hatchet. Shovel and a suitable rock gives me another whacking,slashing,cutting,and digging tool.Bic lighter cooking food of one sort or another that I used a portion of the tuna to bait. The rest of the can in my belly for calories and fat. Cold and wet a way to get fire to comfort body and soul. Tie wraps are way up on the list of things for securement of animate or inanimate objects. Water bottle,assuming no holes, to carry life’s elixir. Bungees for securement or trapping. Thread depending on size can be used for fishing line either singularly or braided. The pigtail is generally 14 ga. stranded with each wire about 18-24 inches long, good for snares or seizing. The electrical tape? Bandaging up the idiot who stole my well equipped vehicle and left me scrounging in bar ditches. Did I mention I now have a hatchet,box knife and sharpened shovel along with a screwdriver?

Hanzo, Motomom34, kellory and 3 others like this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

with the proper wick made from the thread or clothes... the can of tuna is food and light... other items can be used to fashion an Atl-Atl for hunting (axe head, shook from bungee cord, and box knife... I now have a ranged weapon...

Hanzo, Motomom34 and oldawg like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What are you going to do with the ax head? I figured cracking nuts open. I do not feel confident that I could attach it to a stick to make an ax. I looked at the wires and zip tie things and just don't think I could make it stay.

Hanzo likes this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Carving an ax handle, and installing it is not hard to do, moto. It would stay just fine, split, and wedged with wood wedges, just like all the old ones were done.;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

If there is no suitable wood for a handle... you could also use it as a hand axe... no handle needed but not as useful... you could sharpen it and use it like the Eskimo use their Ulu's for skinning and cutting...

Hanzo, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  7. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

That is red neck lottery. :)

whynot

oldawg and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

All the stuff is great but I will honestly say I don't really care for bungie cords.I have used them in the past and get into more trouble. I prefer ratchet straps. Bungies seem to give out and you just cannot get them tight enough.

Hanzo and oldawg like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Bungies are awesome for creating a quick shelter if you have a poncho/tarp and there are trees around..... much quicker than 550 cord and come down just as easy for quick movement out of the area....

10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

MM34 get a couple or few bungee clips to throw into your gear. They come from cheap to HOW MUCH? They allow you to adjust the length to suit the job. Some(me sometimes) carry a length of shock cord and clips in the bottom of the old LC pack just in case.

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

you can also use the bungee cords as part of a twitch up snare with the tuna can as a bait...

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

a canned tuna light...bet that smells fishy. I can see it now, sitting around in my dark newly dug foxhole, lingering taste of dinner reminding me that I still need to fix the lawn mower, feral cats screaming around me, held at bay by the light from my tuna candle, whittling away on a hatchet handle with my box knife and wondering if I should make some cat snares from the wire or just tape them up....

oldawg, Hanzo, Brokor and 3 others like this.
  13. Witch Doctor 01

Never said it smelled good... just works... ;)

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

2 Bungie cords- like I said before I really don’t like bungies because I never get them tight enough so they cause more issue then help. But if they were all I had then I could use them for securing things, tying down. I don’t know about using these for trapping because they have such give.
    A box knife- Weapon, maybe sturdy enough to skin or filet fish. Can harvest plants with plus use to cut vegies and fruit. I would just have to be careful because I don’t think it can withstand much pressure.
    A straight slot screwdriver- weapon, use it to carve, pry or scrape things.
    A Bic lighter-works- fire!!! I would try to save as much as possible so I would get a fire going then always try to have an ember. You can hollow out wood and carry an ember in it.
    A small roll of electrical tape- seal wounds. Repair shoes and down coats. I know you can make cups and such from duct tape- why not electrical tape.Help secure a splint.
    4 Tie wraps- tie up bad guys. Bind branches together to help make shelter. Make into loops so I can hang things off of me instead of carrying.Help secure a split.
    A hatchet head- can use to take branches off a tree to make a shelter. See if I can make a spark off of this in case the lighter runs out.
    A pigtail for a trailer harness- I would use the wires to make a snare trap.
    A empty plastic water bottle- carry water. Definitely give it the smell test first.
    A spool of thread- If I find or fashion a needle I could sew something. Also can string between trees and hang cans to use as an alarm. Not real sturdy but better then nothing.
    A shovel with a shortened handle
    - see @Seacowboys post # 13 What's your favorite Multi-Tool? | Survival Forums . I think he said it all.
    A can of tuna- after I somehow get it open with the screwdriver then food and bail/ lure.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Because the eye doesn't look round, I would use it in hand like an ulu or attached it to a stick like an adze. Probably less work and safer that trying to fit a stick in the eye. And maybe more secure too.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That there is what I call a Prayer Kit, and a complete one at that. pretty cool, just picking them up on the side of the road.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. ED GEiN
  11. Motomom34
  12. ED GEiN