Survivor McGyver- Hotel Room

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Well it is called social media.... The point is to explore what's possible not a Con test to win... Lol... Don't get your panties in such have a twist grumpy pants. =)

uploadfromtaptalk1428381926831.

Hanzo, Dont, Tracy and 4 others like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Anyone can build the perfect response when they have everyone else's responses to build upon. Just how does that teach you to think about your surrounding conditions?
    This IS a test of sorts, but it is not an open book test, because it is a solo event.
    Grumpy? I don't think so. I just took the question seriously.
    There is a quote. Says something like "it is better to make average choices now, then the perfect response too late".
    This scenario, is a pressure test, with set conditions. And were it to play out for real, a failing grade could mean your death.
    If you don't take the question seriously, you fail by default.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

We are going to have to agree to disagree.. Or agree we have two different view points.

I have the 'this is only a test of the emergency broadcast system' view any can and does build upon other people's ideas, thoughts and Experiences. If God expected me to know everything he would have made me omniscient.... And tbh I trust him when the time comes. I will give it my all and I trust in the mystical pulses I receive.

The Internet isn't real... Nothing people write is real or the truth... (that should get a bunch of people going) so I can't take it too seriously like it's a test. And while I do understand your viewpoint of thinking for yourself... Idm sharing

uploadfromtaptalk1428386417029.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Social media can give a fascinating study of human nature........ [pop]

Tully Mars and Sapper John like this.
  5. Yard Dart

You really do not want to be caught in a large body of water moving through town or anywhere else. The force of mother nature can be deadly....

Remember this video when you consider getting caught in a flash flood of any kind..... safety first and foremost!!

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Very well said. When I concocted this exercise I had my thoughts of what I would grab and do, "it is a pressure test, with set conditions." In reading posts from the participating Monkey's I see that I have overlooked a few things- actually lots of things. I am learning from from my fellow monkeys, that is why I am here and that is the purpose of this thread. I gave @ditch witch a different scenario and she took me out with a Barbie and clay pot. She looked at what she had and improvised.

I am still rattling around in my brain if there is anything in there to help make fire. We have the batteries from the remote. I keep thinking something to magnify or something to scrape to get a spark. I feel like I haven't covered the must haves- fire, water, shelter.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Fire is covered in more than one way. The batteries and fine wires from the phone, wrapping paper will do. So will the grafite in pencils. Mirror shards, will also do it.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

How far is the hotel from the dam, @Motomom34?

Maybe my first stop would be to the hotel roof. Get a quick overview of what's happening.

If the hotel is a reasonable distance from the dam, I might order up some grub and something to drink and watch the people and water show from the roof top.

I have been in Guam on business trips with category 5 super typhoons heading in. Truly frightening. Modern hotels have been built to serve as shelters in many cases. I am thinking I might not outrun raging water over a 20 mile distance, especially with a possibly panicked crowd. It's not like outrunning a bear or out swimming a shark, where you have to beat the slowest person. That crowd will impede you and possibly injure or kill you.

So unless the hotel is close enough to take the full brunt of the bursting dam, I think I would settle in. And if it is that close, I would have to consider staying put too. If the dam bursting is imminent, and you are at ground level running, you're toast.

Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I like Hanzo's reply. And, if I had to leave, the only item I would think of scavenging would be those little bottles of booze. Then, off to find the nearest motorcycle and get moving.

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Very good @Hanzo going to look the roof to look and survey the situation. Vantage point is very helpful. The exercise was to get you to think what you would use for survival or could be helpful in a hotel. There are useful things everywhere but many get locking in to thinking practical. Example: a shower cap is useful for more then keeping your hair dry. One can put it over your shoes to keep them dry. You can use it to haul water or cover and keep something dry. I just learned this one- you can use it to cover your seedlings rather then use plastic wrap.

LOL! @Hanzo second thought food. That is our Hanzo!

Hanzo likes this.
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I just skip to the Reply section without reading everything...

This being my second visit o this thread, I'll bite.
    I would die. Haha. Not much in there I would use. Shower curtain for a crappy tarp, comforter or two for a crappy anti hypothermia device, maybe grab some nicnacs if I run across any?

Brokor and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter you probably have a better chance then the lady in room 204 because she didn't know she could use a shower curtain for a tarp. I think for many it would be a shock just to realize that they may have to walk.

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

IDK about any of that, but I forgot to add breaking the back of the toilet top thingy to see if an usable shanks would come of it.

Brokor likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is off subject but

The other day my boss said that you usually find more ants near a females desk because they always have food. That is highly likely. After that conversation I actually took inventory of my work area and discovered I have a couple days of food. Plus I have extra baggies, eating utensils and medicinal items. My co-workers know to stop by my desk if they need Tums, cough drops etc...

Don't start calling me a thief but if SHTF and I was looking for supplies I think I would go scavenge at businesses and go straight to the secretary's area.

15. Yard Dart

What are the extra baggies for Moto....?!
    It is Colorado.... never know over there now that pot is legal.... ;)

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I understood that @Motomom34. First thought was how to live. So, I figured to use the hotels elevated status to remain above the potential flood from the dam breaking. I am used to being in high rise hotels, so if this is a two story deal, then I would be bugging out. But maybe to the nearest tall building instead of the 20 mile target.

In that case, I would take anything that would aid me into breaking in to a tall building if it is secured. Since this is a hypothetical, my hotel would have a fireman's axe in the glass case. I would take that and boogie to the nearest high rise. Once I break in, I would scavenge in there. Hopefully in the rooms on a higher floor.

For me, the first thought, like in first aid, is to be away from danger. Everything else to follow. It wouldn't do to get all the best stuff, get water, get food, and then die from the thing you are trying to escape from.

Once I escape, then I can work on eating. ;D

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  17. john316

john316 Monkey+++

has anyone seen exit signs at floor level every 20 or 30 feet in the halls of a hotel....

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup and also a sign in the room. That said, in a smoke filled hallway, it might be better to already know something.

oldawg and Brokor like this.
  19. john316

john316 Monkey+++

, at least one water bottle (purchased at incredibly inflated prices after screening),
    c.[/QUOTE]
    i have been able to carry empty water bottles past screening and refill with water

Hanzo likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

i have been able to carry empty water bottles past screening and refill with water[/QUOTE]

I carry an empty bottle and a metal cup with me when I fly. Fill up after security. Hydrating on the plane can help keep you healthier than if you don't.

john316 likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. ED GEiN
  11. Motomom34