Survivorman (Les Stroud) and Family Goes off Grid - MOVIE!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Falcon15, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

trigger1961 and Cephus like this.
  2. Paul 2.0

Paul 2.0 Monkey+

Dont think he ever covered the actual cost of having this done. Had to be up there.

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think this vid is a few years old. Yeah, his cost had to be WAY up there - using a helo to bring in supplies cannot be cheap.

Also, I have the same video (didn't watch these clips) slip over 8 files, but it's an "extended" edition if you will. I remember Les saying there was "no water on the property", but in the videos I have he talks about a pond "with a body sized bag" at the bottom.

all in all it is a good video that goes over some of the pitfalls of off-grid living, just nothing in detail, more of an intro.

4. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Well, if he set up the delivery of his cabin parts correctly, the cabin manufacturer, who claimed they could deliver anywhere, would have had to soak that cost. Other than that I thought this was good for a primer, just a "something to think about" post.

5. trigger1961

trigger1961 Monkey+

Great movie. My wife and I built an Earthship recycled tires ram full of dirt, stacked 12 high, buried into a bank. Passive solar heat. BIGGGGGGGG windows, all facing south, 14, 220 watt PV panels, battery back up (1060 amp hours, 48 volt system) Solar hot water (very nice). [{Radiant floor heating (bad idea) concrete slab floor plus flag stone, nice look bad idea for heating. 140,000 BTU instant on water heater for the floor} cost about $4 per hour to heat up floor and about 12 hours to get floor warm and it never raises the temperature in the house] to quote Robert burns. "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray" this was close to $175k. not included the rest of the crap that goes into this house. thanks to her dad and his planning left my wife well off. we actually make more than we use so it goes back to the grid and we get credit for it. pretty nice. although i am going to have to live longer than Noah to make any profit from this set up....lol

6. trigger1961

trigger1961 Monkey+

wood heat is the way

also included in this house is wood heat, real nice buck stove. I think in any off grid or preppers for off grid, wood heat is the cats meow, I can make it 80degrees inside while 15degrees out

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7