Flu Survivors - BBC America

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Wolfmask, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Wolfmask

Wolfmask Monkey++

Has anyone seen the new series Survivors by BBC America in which survivors start lives over after a virulent disease wipes out 99% of the population.

Show's home website
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/370/index.jsp

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I heard about it someplace flipping thru the channels...that's all though.

3. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

yeah I watched the 1st episode, it was pretty good. Set to record future episodes.

the government was saying dont worry just get vaccinated, everything will be fine. Meanwhile hospitals were hiding the dead bodies. I assume it occured over a 24-36 hr period. Only one character was introduced as being any kind of survival mentality. he was gathering supplies and fuel in his land rover, and going to make a fresh start farming. Everyone else is like "the government is doing something I'm sure"

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Oh, another one of those: "were here from the government, and were here to help" things!
    Scary!

5. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

well the government downplayed the whole thing until it was too late. Now pretty much everyone is gone w/ exception of a handful of survivors who are in denial about there situation. "the government will have the power back on again soon". but there is noone left to fix it.

6. Wolfmask

Wolfmask Monkey++

I watched it last night. It shows why it is important to learn skills, gather supplies and weapons. It is dog eat dog world in England.
    The gun control issue in England would be big problem until you raid the police and military locations.
    I like the guy with the Rover. A great mind set to deal with the problems.
    I can't wait for next Saturday's show.

7. Wolfmask

Wolfmask Monkey++

Re: Survivors - BBC America Remake??

Question: does anyone remember the first Survivor series of 1975 to 1977.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

No, never saw that one.
    I watched the one this evening, it was interesting......
    The one problem I found was with "the guy driving the rover"...seems he wants to go it alone....lone wolf style...maybe in this scenario a good idea, but I'd think long and hard about that decision!
    I'll have to wait to see how this plays out, and decide then...
    Too many cooks spoil the soup, but then again....1 person, man or woman, cannot do everything 24/7. There is the problem...you have to sleep sometime.

9. smitty32303

smitty32303 Monkey++

I thought the old man at the "Boy's Camp" was a great example of someone that knew what was going to have to be done to survive when he asked the lady if she know how to grow food, and had she ever learned to live off the land. He told her most people have forgotten what it was like to live like a human. Your right about the land rover guy, all he could think of was to get away by himself, and avoid other folks, instead of banding together. Good point about the convict to. You won't know who is who, what they have done, where they came from, and most of all what they are capable of doing when you start thinking about gathering survivors and banding together. Not a pretty picture.

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I watched the first two episodes, I think the BBC might have a hit on their hands. The black guy in the Rover is no doubt ahead if the others, but I am seeing them adapting pretty quick for city folks. I also set the DVR to record future shows.

11. Dukeofdeath

Dukeofdeath Monkey++

I started watching the 1975-77 episodes on youtube a week ago and have seen most of the first 2 series, and I must say that they are better than the new series. This guy only uploads one episode per week, and I'm caught up with him now. But they're both pretty good, even if the storylines are very similar. You'll find yourself yelling at the screen at some of the bonehead decisions they make, especially when it comes to security.
    Duke

YouTube - 'Survivors' Epi.1 Pt.1/6 'The Fourth Horseman' Series 1

12. coinshooter

coinshooter Monkey+

I been watching it. But then found the old series on youtube. An its way better that the new one. Its under the aftermath channel.
    YouTube - AftermathShow's Channel

13. Tommy Jefferson

Tommy Jefferson Monkey+

I like the show. It's fairly well-written. The plot has interesting twists. The characters are somewhat interesting, not the usual cardboard cutouts.

The anti-gun sentiment angers my wife. She started yelling at the television after the 7th time the unarmed protagonists got captured by predators with guns.

14. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yeah I've been watching the old series on YouTube also. Like every show depicting collapse they seriously underplay, or outright dismiss, the extent to which firearms will be used. But they continue to use this medium to condition the masses for something they really don't want them to be prepared for. Is it any wonder?

Anyway, I do like the old episodes.

Byte

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7