SURVIVORS by J. W. Rawles

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by tacmotusn, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

I have read the book. I have also read hundreds of other post-apocalypse books over the years. And I have been writing myself for several years. The blunt truth is that there is a great deal about Patriots that is poorly written. The book doesn’t make sense on a number of different levels.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
    In Patriots (I have not read Survivors) we don’t see much of the formation of the provisional government. I don’t understand how it got to the position of being able to call for help from overseas. If it had no military force of its own, why is it even a going concern? And yet we are told that American military forces switched sides towards the end of the conflict – choosing to follow ‘the document.’ The whole situation makes little sense.

I have no idea why the military fell apart so quickly in Patriots. The soldiers would be fed; by staying together they could protect their families and start restoring order; they would even have stockpiles of MREs and suchlike they could draw on to remain alive. The collapse we are shown is just too great.

And then there’s the help from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region> and Belgium (?). I do not see why any halfway sane European government would embark on such a dangerous and pointless adventure when they will have too many troubles at home. We are talking about a military operation an order of magnitude larger than Operation Iraqi Freedom. Why would they do it – money or not – when they might lose everything at home?

And why would they study Unintended Consequences for an insurgency when it doesn’t apply to their situation? They would be better studying Total Resistance.

A more plausible reason for the crash might go something like this…

Terrorists strike a major refinery in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Saudi Arabia</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The global oil supply hiccups badly. The economic shockwaves cause several third world governments to default on their international loans. They start taking down banks in <st1:country-region w:st="on">America</st1:country-region> and <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place>. The population starts a run on the banks as smaller businesses start to fold, putting millions out of work…which in turn knocks on to take out other businesses and supply chains. Food shortages start to appear in major cities, starting riots and inter-social conflicts. (At this point, the survivalists might decamp as money becomes worthless). The government orders the National Guard and army onto the streets in the hope of stopping the chaos, but it’s too much to handle easily and the army starts to fragment, with desertion becoming alarmingly common. Smaller NG units start insisting on protecting their families first – some parts of the country remain under tight control, other parts become increasingly lawless.

And that is where the story would go. Desperate to recover control, the feds make deals with the hordes of refugees floating over the world. Five years military service in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> gets them land and money.

Chris

2. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

Sounds like an interesting track you've got there Chris, you should run with that into something.

3. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

I'll certainly think about it.

Chris

4. pegleg

pegleg Monkey+

I enjoyed Survivors more than Patriots: less on equipment and much more character development.

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Ditto. That's one reason we got it on audio book form. Doesn't matter I guess, its just easier for me to listen and write.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7