Susan Butcher Dead from Leukemia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Aug 6, 2006.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Susan Butcher Dead from Leukemia

Four time Iditarod champ Susan Butcher dies from Leukemia
    quote: <hr> ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Four-time Iditarod champion Susan Butcher, who in 1986 became the race's second female winner and brought increased national attention to its grueling competition, has died. She was 51.

Butcher died Saturday in a Seattle hospital of a reoccurrence of leukemia after a recent stem-cell transplant, her doctor said.

She dominated the 1,100-mile sled dog race from Anchorage to Nome in the late 1980s. Her other victories came in 1987, '88 and '90, and she finished in the top four through 1993.​

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Yea a very sad story, she had a really rare one, the marrow produced too much blood instead of not enough.
    Tuff lady thats for sure.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I admired her greatly and have followed her mushing career since the beginning. I guess I was envious that she actually lived the life that suited my personality as well.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Yea I follw the races and the Pros at it, She was one of the very best!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7