Swiss Army Knives-Still a place?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by stg58, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Ted Eng

Ted Eng Monkey

Capt. Tyree likes this.
  2. flhshvlhed

flhshvlhed Monkey+++

I've had a Champion since the mid 80's when I carried it in a belt pouch with a set of needle nose pliers. Since the 90's, I've carried a Swisstool w/ a Ranger. 2 is 1, 1 is none.

3. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

I keep one in my pack,has scissors tooth pick tweezers etc.nice sharp blades,also carry the single bladed small pocket knife just blade and bottle opener
    D

4. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I have carried a swiss army knife since boy scouts. Carry a leatherman and a sak electrician for work and a sak ( i forget the model) for everyday use when i am not working. I do not own any safe queens ( knives that do not get used) all my saks get used. I have loved sak all my life.

5. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Not sure if you guys watch wranglerstar on youtube but here are some of his thoughts on his trusty SAK's. I mostly agree with him but I do love my BM folders! I'd be slightly put out if I lost one too. Especially more than once!

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have a few smaller SAK knockoffs. Okay for minor tasks, but I find them basically nearly useless in the field. I carry a real folding knife in a belt pouch everyday, and a good Multitool for certain field uses. One is geared towards fishing, another towards camping. Much more useful to me personally. YMMV of course.

7. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Monkey+

I've EDC'ed a Tinker or Super Tinker for 20+ years.

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

EDC'd a hiker since my brother traded me one 30 + years ago....

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

[​IMG] Swiss Army on a tether with a french marine snap shackle

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Always got one 14827624802151052532393.

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For camping and hunting I cary a Bowie
    but my EDC is a verity of pocket knives I fit my belt pouch to .

I can reach my knife and open it faster than you can draw a weapon. DSCN4395.JPG
    there are three or four different knives I have that fit this pouch , and I cary three others in my pocket and EDC bag. yes that's a swiss gear bag and it's the best investment in bag gear I've ever had .
    I've also got a swiss army knife in there as well, but to be honest I've got a locking kershaw in there as well, I use more often. DSCN4189.JPG
    this tool is hard to beat.

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  12. 7.5mas

7.5mas Monkey

My not at work carry set , both are fairly, new waiting on the patina now. COPPER    20170815_181301.JPG

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Once a useful tool always a useful tool. Multi-tools may do more, but they also weigh more. As long as you're still required to do the tasks that the Swiss Army Knife was required to perform, it's just as functional as it was in days gone past. JMHO.

Tully Mars likes this.
  14. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

It's the original multi tool! Just scored a Wenger.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That 4-pin Master lock is so easy to pick...if I were stupid enough to try it, that is. ;)

16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    Mili issue 'utility' knife. One these rode on my fatigue belt for over 20 years. No longer available from Cammilus, - Marbles makes a knock off, don't know if is made in the US. SAK is good, so is this.

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I visited the Camilus plant in NY the week before they closed it.

Marbles makes some good knives though, IMO.

Every 10 year old I know gets a Victorinox Swiss Army knife on the birthday from me.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7