Swiss gun control:

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, May 1, 2007.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

http://www.infowars.com/articles/2nd_amendment/switzerland_and_the_gun.htm

Switzerland and the gun Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.
    The country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols.
    This is in a very large part due to Switzerland's unique system of national defence, developed over the centuries.
    Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year throughout most of their lives.
    Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to keep at home.
    Once discharged, men serve in the Swiss equivalent of the US National Guard, but still have to train occasionally and are given bolt rifles. Women do not have to own firearms, but are encouraged to.
    Few restrictions
    In addition to the government-provided arms, there are few restrictions on buying weapons. Some cantons restrict the carrying of firearms - others do not.
    The government even sells off surplus weaponry to the general public when new equipment is introduced.
    Guns and shooting are popular national pastimes. More than 200,000 Swiss attend national annual marksmanship competitions.
    But despite the wide ownership and availability of guns, violent crime is extremely rare. There are only minimal controls at public buildings and politicians rarely have police protection.
    Mark Eisenecker, a sociologist from the University of Zurich told BBC News Online that guns are "anchored" in Swiss society and that gun control is simply not an issue.
    Some pro-gun groups argue that Switzerland proves their contention that there is not necessarily a link between the availability of guns and violent crime in society.
    Low crime
    But other commentators suggest that the reality is more complicated.
    Switzerland is one of the world's richest countries, but has remained relatively isolated.
    It has none of the social problems associated with gun crime seen in other industrialised countries like drugs or urban deprivation.
    Despite the lack of rigid gun laws, firearms are strictly connected to a sense of collective responsibility.
    From an early age Swiss men and women associate weaponry with being called to defend their country.
    <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">
    <table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="subheadline_body">The Internet leader in activist media - Prison Planet.tv . Thousands of special reports, videos, MP3's, interviews, conferences, speeches, events, documentary films, books and more - all for just 15 cents a day! Click here to subscribe! Find out the true story behind government sponsored terror, 7/7, Gladio and 9/11, get Terror Storm! </td> </tr> </tbody></table> ​
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    E-MAIL THIS LINK

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Full auto in every home makes for polite neighbors :)

Compare the violent crime rates in Switzerland with New York City and it's god -awful restrictive gun laws.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This actually works both ways. During my class for renewing my CHL, someone stated that he actually felt as though carrying his weapon made him more polite. When asked why that was, he stated "because I feel more pressure to not start a confrontation, nor escalate a situation." He also said that carrying while driving made him more polite, no flipping other drivers off, yelling and screaming, no hand gestures, he stated that the constant reminder was on his hip. I have to agree.

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Now that you mention it..... I do seem to be much more calm when I'm carrying. I'm always polite and considerate to a level that most people find very antiquated (except with mean people), but when I'm carrying I do seem to be less confrontational with even the mean ones.

interesting.

5. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I think the Swiss are on to something here [winkthumb] Try to get that one past the liberal bunch. Anyone who owns, uses guns knows. My entire life my Dad's motto was "A gun is like a parachute when you need one you need it bad!" He is right and I also feel that way, but try to have the debate with the liberals, they just won't listen, they always come back to a wack job that went off and killed a whole group of people and that's where they end the conversation, see if there were no guns this wouldn't happen, makes me sick to listen, sit down and try to explain that if everyone had a gun that person may have only gotten one or two before the situation was taken care of but they see that as bad too, can't win.

These are the same bunch that when TSHTF will be knocking on your door. Well OK not this fine group of citizens if they know what's good for them.

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

"Walk softly and carry a big stick." Teddy's words are as true today as ever.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7