Sword as the third part of the weapons triangle .

Discussion in 'Blades' started by hank2222, May 16, 2018.

1. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

My philosophy has always been "shoot the guy with the big knife first".

2. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Here is the second part what if you have choice but use a sword because of the event that separate you from the main source of a weapons because of a,mo is gone or they have came in an taken them

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I likey swords! Knives, machetes...

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Is that Conan's?

STGThndr, hank2222 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Different fighting styles as well as a personal capabilities becomes an important factor in choosing the best weapons for personal use! Not every one can swing a broad sword, or an Ax, while some can use a Saber, all types should be considered on their merits and their limits and compared with a person's skills. Once you have found your type and style of weapon, train with it, get good and accurate, build by your strength with it, and own it!
    Me personally, I always wanted a big two handed sword, but the physical requirements made that impractical as well as a liability, I had been using Ice Axes for quite some time, and so the Ships Axe became the preferd tool for me. Employed expertly, it has many advantages over the more classic edged weapons, and is more lethal, quicker! Like a sword, it can hack, and slice, but it excels at smashing and chopping. The pike is good for penetrating to the organs, or getting between layers and causing damage, and it's especially good at removing the more threatening body parts! Like a hammer, it is also very good at breaking things!

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Got a good discount on these Gerbers a few years ago Gators I believe. (5) for $80 so snagged them keep one on each tractor and one under the seat of each truck, and work them hard in the fence rows, Think they retail for like $25-$30 each but they hold a edge and are great for hacking away in tight spots and have proven to be far more durable than their price tag would lead you to believe. I can say I would not want to get whacked or poked with one. That is about as close as I get to a sword.

31lHectmZ9L.

7. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Yes it in the style of Conan the barbarian atlantean style but a little diff take of the sword .the one I design has a diff style to it

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

It's too late for me to make time to learn sword work . However there is a quality razor sharp machete attached to my GHB . Inferior to a sword, my opinion goes with the old adage "Beware the man with only one gun, he knows how to use it". I've been chopping stuff on the farm since I was a kid . I'll go with what I know.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I likey machetes! Just spent the day teaching the sword.

Gator 45/70 and hank2222 like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

11. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

For most of us, there is no triangle. Once upon a time I was young and in great shape I actually took a guy down on the street when attacked at a bus stop in Oakland. (He tried to sucker punch me to rob me, and got a hand in the throat, and a kick to the side of the knee and crotch for his trouble.) I might try that now, if someone surprised me. However, given age and experience, the key is to see and avoid.

Given that most of these are soldiers in training, probably fair to say, most of us won't face mounted hoards on horseback armed with pikes and short swords.

For most people, using an edged weapon is more of a hazard to them than the other guy. If he's using one as his primary weapon, chances are that he's trained in its use. If not, the average Joe would be better off having a good escape plan than trying to stand and fight it out.

I do carry a machete in my vehicle, but that would be better to break a window to help someone. My EDC weapon is a 9mm CC which would be employed if I felt my life was in danger.

Ganado, Hanzo, oldman11 and 3 others like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Do you know the 21foot rule "knife verses gun "?
    Some one determined is going to wait till your guard is down .
    Much like any predator they are opportunistic ,and choose the place you might feel less threatened ,observing your body language .
    The 21 foot rule basically is that you can't pull your gun faster than some one normally physically agile can run 21 feet and stab you .
    "If" you see the attack comming , the second problem is "the will to shoot", "if " you've drawn in time .
    If you've drawn in time to make the shot on some one running at you, and if they are skilled dodging your aim as they advance , can you hit a moving target?

Lastly the only person I might hesitate to take on with a smaller knife might be Steven Sagal even if I had a fun size katana .
    Under relevant circumstances I would feel comfortable with a katana against a machete , all other things being equal .
    Why would you choose the sword over using the gun?
    Stealth , an aggressor using something other than a fire arm,, an aggressor using a filet knife or equivalent, and the need to conserve ammo . Post SHTF this will become more of an issue.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    crowdaddy, Hanzo, oldman11 and 3 others like this.
  13. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Swords are pretty cool...
    One day I will get a dark age style sword...in the meantime I have this one...
    Andy
    DSC04531.

STGThndr, Ganado, Hanzo and 6 others like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Couldn't resist buying a Camillus carnivore just for the fun of it , just to see how it would perform doing brush work here around the ranch . I removed the hook and changed the edge a bit . it's not an easy steel to sharpen but it seems to hold well enough .
    It boasts being titanium bonded, what ever that means now days , 1-1/2" wide x 1/8" x11"long blade + 6-1/4"handle =17-1/4" over all.
    For 15 bucks it was not a bad investment (Walmart) good grip with a bit of a hook in the handle and a Point I modified single face grind that is sharp on the back side as well .
    Like I've said before," I don't usually leave things the way I get them".
    The blade is long enough to be a thrusting instrument and a good chopper as well ,a bit better than the thin bladed cheap machetes.
    There were 6 on the rack when I got this one and all were gone the next day, leaving the longer cheaper thin bladed machete's behind.
    Apparently like me , more people want the heavier bladed knives .

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The end of the Carnivore looks like it could break off with use.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That is not why I modified mine , but for the sake of argument the point I reshaped on mine hasn't broken yet but I'll let you know when I do . I may even for the fun of it give it the jack acid test .

17. MtMoriah

MtMoriah Monkey

A good solid knife and a hatchet beat a sword for many uses.

crowdaddy, Hanzo, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One of the reasons swordsmen learn fencing is that it is a thrusting tool not just a slashing tool and in many cases the thrust is usually the winning move in many sword fights. This is why accuracy is a significant issue in sword fighting and a typical machete is not a sword having an almost round tip.
    Swords won't come into prominence again till fire arms have lost most all ammo, IF society remains scattered .
    Small swords IMO are a crowded environment weapon either by structure or group fighting group .
    Long swords are open area weapons with plenty of room to swing . this makes the katana the best of both worlds IMO ..
    Armor is another relative issue due to the fact a sword fight of any sort my involve more than one on one.

Hanzo, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

I am partial to short swords, such as the Highland Dirk. Have one made to original British MIL SPEC, no toy or wall hanger.

Hanzo, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

I likey that 7.63 Mauser used to shoot my older brothers old Broomtail Mauser.

1. Yard Dart
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GOG
  4. Andy the Aussie
  5. Bishop
  6. Andy the Aussie
    ...it's my excuse anyway... ;) [IMG] [IMG]
    Thread by: Andy the Aussie, Dec 21, 2018, 8 replies, in forum: Blades
  7. Bandit99
  8. Hanzo
  9. Andy the Aussie