Sword from Space! Blacksmith Forges Blade from Meteorite

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Quigley_Sharps, Apr 8, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

To be on a level playing field we must first define armor type and use. Armor is a protective covering that is used to prevent damage from being inflicted to an object, individual, or vehicle by direct contact weapons.

Different types of armor require a different approach, Knights on the ground, clad in chain mail and leather are different than Knights on a horse in full plated armor.

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I can agree.

Bear and HK_User like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Everyone has made great points... and to a certain extent I agree with each point of view and historical reference as well as current applications....
    While I understand flex and bend before breaking... I know that there are those out there that know how to heat treat a blade so that it will not flex to the degree of the ABS test standards but nor will it break either.... nor will it take a set ... or in other words... it has some degree of flex but always returns to true...
    A blade you place in a vise and can bend 90 degrees or in some amazing instances, back over for a total of 180 degrees multiple times... with all your weight placed on it or even with a "cheater" bar with no visible cracks or without the blade cracking is indeed a true testament to the steel chosen, the design geometry and the heat treating capabilities of the craftsman...
    I know that you want a blade that will bend rather than break.... but in real world applications... I would rather a blade I that has very little flex but is tough as nails... if you want to stand on your blade or use it as an anchor to pull your weight up a mountain... then there are better tools for that...
    My point is there is right tool with the right design for the right job for everything.... S7 shock resistant steel for jack hammer bits to penetrate concrete... super bainite steel for armor plating against modern projectiles... to a simple icepick to defeat body armor... (ok not the plates ;) )
    Make sure you have the right tool to get your job done.... like the old saying goes... don't bring a knife to a gun fight... I don't care what the knife experts say about closing the distance before the other person can draw....
    That blade in the original post... is mission specific.... just like a foil for fencing, a dotanuki for field battle in old Japan, or a jack hammer bit for concrete and an icepick for ice...
    Again... the right tool for the right job ... that will save your life... or at least minimize needless potentially life threatening injuries ....
    JMHO....

Carry on...

Bear

Hanzo, Ganado, Tully Mars and 5 others like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

You don't use a sword on plate anyway. Swords are for soft targets. And I have nearly had my head lopped off my shoulders by modern "flexible" blades blocking nonflexible varieties...that 90 degree flexibility can happen when blocking with the flat...
    And I know I have had huge numbers of blows fail because of the steel flexing when it shouldn't.

That said, it is a huge measure of a smith to be able to accomplish such feats, but to the swordsman, it is not always what is required.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I like a little bit of flex, not too much though. That is why I like spring steel for my sword. Has a little bit of give only. I don't like the really bendy whip type myself.

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I have had this conversation since elsewhere, but I want to put a thought to you. If SPRING steel was meant for swords, it would be called SWORD steel instead.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Then why is there no sword steel?;)

Hanzo likes this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Because the Victorians are shits!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

That there is a living history joke. And I could get a doctorate explaining it. Haha.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I did not say spring steel was meant for swords. I said I prefer spring steel for MY sword.

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I follow. No offense meant. It is just a rant I get on.

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7