Tac

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Hispeedal2, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I would throw this out on the Reloader's Bench, but I'm not a member there. Anyone use Tac powder by Ramshot? I am setting up my Dillon 650 after having about 5+ years off from reloading. I couldn't understand my notes if I tried at this point. I know I was looking for something that metered well and burned as hot and consistent as Varget. I would rather have a powder that works equally well for .223 and .308. Tac seems to fit those specs from what I can gather on other sites and in the newer reloading manuals I've picked up.

Comments, suggestions?

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep! Great powder for .223Rem/5.56X45, .30-30Win and other small to medium rifle calibers. It is a fine ball powder - ALL Ramshot powders are - so it meters very nicely in my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I like it!

3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I haven't been able to find TAC locally, or even at some of the larger retailers in this state. I figured if I bought it online, the hazmat fees would make it too expensive. I'm curious to hear your experiences with it.
    If you like Varget, why not use it?

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Varget doesn't meter well in a Dillon powder meter. Stick type powders don't do well in general.

5. turbohardtop

turbohardtop Monkey++

I am using 24-24.5 grains of TAC behind the standard 55 grains FMJ in 223. It seem is be accurate with this load.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

HSA, the HandloadersBench is a friendly place, nearly as so as here. Those guys will have the answers you need. Ez join, go for it. Direct link at on the SM main page.

Be careful, there's an addiction hiding there.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I got introduced to TAC when our Sportsman's Warehouse store (now sadly closed) had it in abundence during the early 'obama-gun-scare' days, and my beloved Hodgdon powders were NOWHERE to be found! Tried TAC, and I was hooked!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7