Recipe Tac's Ultimate Amish Egg/Potato Salad

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have been searching for a recipe such as this one for some time. This one recently was revealed to me, and of course I could not help adding a few small optional changes to make it MY recipe. The type of potato and onions you use is always flexible. Russets usually have to be peeled and I am lazy so I prefer Yukon Gold or Red potatoes which I can just scrub/wash and rinse and move on. Original recipe called for 3/4 C chopped red onion. I like green onions.
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 LB Potatoes cut into 1/4, wedges, boiled for aprox 20 minutes until fork tender, drain, cool, cross cut into smaller pieces to suit your preference.
    6 Eggs, hard boiled, chilled, peeled, reserve yolks for salad dressing, chop whites.
    2 or 3 individual stalks of Celery, cross cut and chopped
    2 bunches of Green Onions, washed, cut off roots and wilted tips of green tops, thin slice crossways
    Place all the above into a large mixing bowl. Now prep the salad dressing as follows;
    In a medium mixing bowl, mash the egg yolks and add the following.
    3/4 cup Mayo or Miracle Whip (whichever you prefer).
    3/4 cup sugar.
    3 TBS Yellow Mustard (or play with this and use your favorite)
    2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
    1.5 tspn Salt
    Mix all this well and blend with items in large mixing bowl
    Chill in frig covered for a couple hours to allow flavors to meld. (or overnight)
    ---------------------------------------
    My optional salad dressing items;
    3 TBS coarse chopped pickles (sweet or sour) or similar Relish
    2 TBS chopped Red Pimento peppers
    1 TBS chopped Jalapeno peppers
    Enjoy !!!

Ganado, GOG, Sgt Nambu and 5 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My Aunt said the secret is to mix all together while warm because that helps to blend the flavors. Interesting recipe, never heard of keeping the yolks separate.

Ganado and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

G-ma said the same about mixing warm, the cautionary note was to watch that the mayo didn't start spoiling. She never separated the yolks, either. The real thing will have red spuds, but any (as tac says) will do.

All that said, tac's optionals are, for SURE, not Amish. Nor is yellow mustard authentic, G-ma preferred brown if any at all, not a required ingredient. Now, to authenticate my claims, G-ma was Pennsylvania Dutch brought up on the farm with Amish (and Mennonite) neighbors.

I can also tell you that Penna Dutch chow is to live for. There used to be a diner in Willowstreet (south of Lancaster,north of Quarryville on I think it is Rt 272) run by Mennonites that we went to now and then just for the authentic chicken pie. Superior; l I just wish it were not three hours from here, if it is even still in existance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    chelloveck likes this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This actually looks pretty awesome, Tac. Thanks for sharing it.
    I have dozens of various mustards in the fridge. An entire door shelf is dedicated to mustard, along with some cabinet space.

Ganado and tacmotusn like this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Warm is fine for mixing. I just don't think it is necessary to burn your hands while cutting up the potatoes or egg whites (and for the eggs the chilling whether it be ice water or running water makes the peeling easier). Definitely mash the egg yolks and blend well with the vinegar or mayo). Yellow mustard was a staple in many Amish households in Ohio. I have bagged more of it than any other kind. Might be a regional thing. Or it might be ghrit's Grandma had her own preference for a particular type of mustard.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi