Tactical 870

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Feb 18, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I saw a Remington 870 Tactical model at a local gunstore. This place is usually a little high, but they must have made a mistake as they have this shotty for $339 with a sling and shell holder, plus a heat shield. Looking through Gunlist I see it wholesale for around $400. Gunbroker of course is higher. I am almost positive this one is new, is sure looked the part.

I might have to go by and pick it up. You can't have enough short barrel shotty's. This would be three for me.
    870_tactical_1_medium_176. 870_2_medium_204.

2. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice, I would go for it myself:)

3. E.L.

I might have too, I have already looked at it twice.

4. magnus392

Third time is a charm:)

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Can't beat a 870. I have one with a pistol grip and a assault sling. Snake charmer surpreme.

6. 155gunner

155gunner Monkey+++ Founding Member

Go for it.

7. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

It's probably an Express.

8. meyah

meyah Monkey+++

I don't bother owning a shotgun.

You almost certainly will be better off with a ccw'd pistol, rather than trying to run and GET any longarm (in "normal times). If it's shtf, the autorifle is a far better choice than any shotgun.

Time and money spent on the shotgun can't be spent on the other two, far more useful types of firearms. Guys pick the shotgun because they are inept with the rifle or pistol, and they are too lazy and cheap to correct that deficiency.

9. magnus392

Re: I don't bother owning a shotgun.

That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard! Have you ever cleared a house with a 5.56, or even a 7.62 AK? Have you ever heard of over penetration?

10. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Re: I don't bother owning a shotgun.

That has got to be, absolutely, the stupidest skew I've ever heard regarding choices of weaponry. The most well-recognized combat trainers and experts in combat scenarios (especially urban) unanimously agree that a 12-gauge shotgun is the best thing you can have ! This is on the basis of REALISTIC scenarios.

To presume that shotgun-shooters are inadequate with a rifle or pistol is a reflection of your own inadequacies. Just because you don't know how to handle a combat shotgun doesn't mean other people don't. I know several guys that compete in 3-gun competitions. They guard their homes with.... yes, you guessed it. A 12-gauge. Why ? Because they know basic concepts of tactical engagement in REALISTIC situations, as well as having proficient firearms knowledge.

Your "autorifle" arguement is equally unsubstanciated as it is idiotic. Even in the most extreme REALISTIC combat situations a citizen might engage, an automatic rifle is not necessary. Besides, a window-licking retard like you wouldn't know how to effectively use it. If you did, you wouldn't have made such a rash statement in your last post. Most people with experience with automatic weapons also know that 9-12 .30-caliber pellets generally do way more damage to a live target than the same target that has been hit with one rifle bullet.

You have the Dale Gribble syndrome. I feel sorry for you, I really do. Your life must be completely worthless if all you have to think about is how to survive some rediculous SHTF scenario. To make things worse, I think you WANT some SHTF scenario to happen. You strike me as one of those guys whose life is so insignifigant that you have nothing but time to dream it all out in your head. To make matters worse, it looks like you've gotten all of your "combat training" by watching too much TV. Just because Chuck Norris stealthed his way into an airplane full of muslim extremists with an UZI doesn't mean it's real. Take the tin-foil off, Rambo. And I think it might be a good idea to stop "sweeping and clearing" your own house. Hoards of enemy infantry troops are not going to waste their time to surround your home, they will simply wait for you to blow yourself up attempting some GI Joe style bullshit.

11. sniper-66

Meyah,
    Come visit ol' sniper some time and I will show you things with a long arm you have never seen before, I can dazzle most people. Now with that, I use a shotgun for many applications that I would reservedly use a pistol or a rifle. There is a time and place for all weapons and the "guage" has earned it's place in history as a remarkable weapon.
    Two of my bretheren above said that was one of the stupidest things they ever heard. What I would suggest to you is to maybe introduce yourself with your credentials. You seem to have a lot of information and also a lot of disagreement with things many of us believe as trueisms through leasons learned and good old studying. Being a Noob, an introduction would be in order and let us know where your knowledge base comes from so that we don't get the wrong opinion of you. You have come in strong like a bull in the china closet and none of us are here to skin you, we just want to know who you are before we can take you seriously. Do that for us and then we will respect your sometimes skewed opinions. Otherwise, you may just become the boards Bobo punching doll. Welcome aboard [beer]

12. magnus392

That is fast changing, lol.... [elim]

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[werd]
    Sniper 66: Good post, gentlmanly. Wish I'd thought of it.

14. sniper-66

Cherish it Ghrit, I was kinda tired, and not my normal cranky self!

15. E.L.

Sorry it took so long for me to answer this, work and kids kept me busy all day.

First off, I bought it. It was a great deal. It came with an optional heat shield, sling, mag. ext. and ghostring sights. I also picked up four ten round boxes of "00" buckshot.

Secondly, I have plenty of concealed weapons, and have been licensed to do so for years.

Third, that is just plain idiotic. Shotguns are an incredible tool in CQB. Door breaching rounds for entry, buckshot for room clearing. 12 -.30 pellets at 1400 fps each at each squeeze of the trigger are way more formidable then one squeeze of the trigger of a centerfire rifle. The only reason to use a handgun is to fight your way to a rifle or shotgun. Yes, they are concealable, but in the words of Clint Smith "anyone who knowingly goes into a firefight with a handgun is stupid." I suggest you do a little research. Col. Cooper, Clint Smith, there are a lot of authors who have seen TSHTF and they are universally credible in the subject of firearms.

16. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

A rifle can be devastating up close, but the most effective 5.56mm round relies on the bullet failing-breaking in half at the cannelure- for its best effectiveness. I put interchangeable choke tubes in my 870 so I could tailor the choke to the shot size. When I get a 590, it will also be Tru-choked, for the same purpose. Instead of patterning the gun for the best shot size, I can pick the shot size and tailor the choke for the best pattern. Should be able to do surgery with it.

17. E.L.

shotty4_1_medium_442. shotty2_medium_129.

18. ghrit

If I didn't already have a shottie, that would be highly attractive. [touchdown]

19. E.L.

I already did, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Now I have three short barrel Shottys. Weekend after next (when I am finally off of work) I am hoping to do a little shooting. Maybe my buddy Mags can join me?

20. ghrit

Betcha he will, if he doesn't have an apoplectic fit with our new "friend. "

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7