Tactical Casualty Combat Care: Medical Innovations Spurred by Combat

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by melbo, Aug 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    One positive consequence of war is its tendency to spur medical innovations that eventually make their way into civilian medical practice.

by Richard A. Gabriel
    Before the Gulf War, the U.S. Army was medically configured to deal with casualties expected to occur in a large-scale conventional conflict. In 1998, the U.S. military undertook a reevaluation of its military medical practices, taking into consideration its experience in both Iraq and Afghanistan. The result was a revised medical doctrine called Tactical Combat Casualty Care that instituted changes in medical practices for treating casualties in low-intensity tactical environments. Casualty statistics revealed that the most common killers of the wounded were shock and bleeding. Renewed emphasis was placed on stopping bleeding quickly and reversing blood loss. Recognizing that non-medics should be trained in additional medical skills, the military established the Combat Lifesaver Program in which selected soldiers were trained in skills needed to keep the wounded alive: performing needle thoracostomy (an incision in the chest wall to drain fluid or abnormal accumulation of air), starting an intravenous line, fluid resuscitation, and traction splinting. American soldiers were issued improved first aid kits that contained combat gauze, a tourniquet, and a nasopharyngeal airway for stopping hemorrhage and overcoming airway difficulties, both frequent causes of death on the battlefield.

The impetus for reevaluating field medical practices came from the American experience in the Battle of Mogadishu in 1993. That engagement involved 170 soldiers in a 15-hour urban battle with guerrillas. In the battle, 100 U.S. troops were wounded and 14 died on the battlefield; another four died later in the hospital. Additional experience in Iraq and Afghanistan showed that more soldiers were being wounded relative to the number killed in action. This meant that although the overall casualty rates were low, the number of wounded that required medical attention was relatively high compared to other wars. In World War II, U.S. forces suffered 1.6 wounded for every soldier killed. In Vietnam, the ratio was 2.8 wounded for each soldier killed. In Iraq and Afghanistan, the ratio was 16 soldiers wounded for each soldier killed.

Introducing the Tourniquet
    Among the most important changes in field medicine was the extensive use of tourniquets. The tourniquet had been used in American armies since the Civil War and was used extensively in World War I. However, it acquired a reputation as dangerous when misused. Over-tightening, delays in reaching medical treatment, and failure to remove the tourniquet caused severe tissue damage and necrosis. Eventually, the tourniquet fell out of favor. At the start of the Iraq War, U.S. combat medics did not even carry tourniquets in their medical kits and had no longer been trained in their use. Nonetheless, the tourniquet proved especially useful for blast injuries where damage to the extremities caused massive bleeding. A severed femoral artery, for example, will cause a person to bleed to death in seven minutes. Newly designed tourniquets equalize the force distributed across the pressure strap to prevent tissue damage and can be applied with one hand by the wounded soldier himself. Today, every American soldier carries a tourniquet in his medical pack, and medics carry a half dozen for immediate use. Soldiers commonly wrap tourniquets loosely around their arms and legs for quick use in the event they are wounded. Use of the tourniquet in Iraq and Afghanistan has saved an estimated 2,000 lives.

The new focus on preventing shock has led to changes in the way in which casualties are medically assessed. Medics had been trained since World War II to prevent shock by keeping the casualty’s blood pressure up and administering intravenous fluids. The IV bottle hung from a pole became part of the standard tableau of military medical treatment through Vietnam. This procedure continued in Iraq and Afghanistan, even though it was known that raising blood pressure was dangerous and caused clots to dislodge and start bleeding again. Medics are now trained to assess the casualty’s blood pressure by pulse and not worry about low blood pressure. Gone, too, is the IV bottle. Medics now carry a capped catheter that can push fluids into a vein if the soldier goes into severe shock.

From Kevlar to Chemistry
    The widespread use of the kevlar battle jacket has greatly reduced bullet wounds to the chest and thorax. Many casualties now present with wounds to the neck, groin, or abdomen, and one-quarter of battlefield injuries requiring evacuation include wounds to the face or jaw, all locations where tourniquets cannot be used. An army study of potentially survivable wounded in Iraq showed that 80 percent died of hemorrhage, 70 percent of the time from wounds in locations where tourniquets could not be used to stop bleeding. This led the military to search for effective hemostatic clotting agents to treat these wounds. In 2007, the military approved the use of two such agents, QuikClot and Hemcon, to be carried by medics. Since then, a new technology called Combat Gauze has also come into use. Combat gauze is a fabric bandage impregnated with kaolin, a powdered clay that stimulates blood-clotting and has proved more effective than other clot-forming powders that often were washed away by bleeding. Combat gauze has a shelf-life of 36 months, making it easy to store and transport.

The almost magical power of whole blood to revive trauma patients had been recognized as early as World War I. Once scientists learned to separate blood’s components into more easily stored and longer lasting red cells, plasma, and platelets, the use of whole blood for transfusions waned. This led to the widespread use of IV fluid mixed with red blood cells that, in many cases, produced more extensive bleeding. There was no blood bank available during the Battle of Fallujah in Iraq in 2004, and dozens of casualties were treated on the battlefield with whole blood drawn from fellow soldiers. All of the transfused casualties survived to be evacuated. A subsequent study found that casualties who received whole blood had a survival rate nearly nine times greater than those who had been transfused with red blood cells and IV fluid. In addition to restoring clotting and reducing multiple organ failure, whole blood reduced the risk of acute respiratory failure, a condition first recognized in Vietnam as “Da Nang lung.” It is now standard practice to transfuse the wounded with whole blood whenever possible, and to use blood that is less than 21 days old.

[​IMG]

The Future of Medical Innovation
    One positive consequence of war is its tendency to spur medical innovation. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have prompted major medical advances in four important areas: prosthetic devices for amputees, advances in brain surgery and rehabilitation therapies, cosmetic surgical techniques for repairing facial disfigurement, and the use of transplanted and artificial skin to deal with severe burn injuries. These innovations will eventually make their way into civilian medical practice, to the benefit of the larger population. If the past is any guide, however, the cost in human suffering is likely to be forgotten—except by the sufferers, their families and caregivers. They do not have that luxury.
    Warfare History Network » Tactical Combat Casualty Care: Medical Innovations Spurred by Combat

GOG, Motomom34, Dont and 5 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Note to self.... find Combat Gauze!!!

Ganado and melbo like this.
  3. melbo

4. Yard Dart

Ganado and melbo like this.
  5. melbo

I'm a huge fan of DAM.
    The founder used to teach TCCC for Magpul Dynamics.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Great article.
    Interesting that QuickClot makes this gauze product as well..... may be a good company to invest in.... ;)
    They do seem to be on the cutting edge with their recent products. :)

Ganado likes this.
  7. melbo

It's mostly all gauze based now. No sense in trying to get a powder down into a deep hole and then following up with gauze packing.

My instructor told us to ignore the expiration date. It's only there to sell more product every 3 years.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

There really isn't much about kaolin that can go bad as long as the package is sealed and the contents kept dry. It's a powdered clay used, at least in the past, to manufacture fine china. It's also the main ingredient in Kaopectate, an antidiarheal over the counter medication.

Dont, Ganado and melbo like this.
  9. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Read this with great interest. Thanks for sharing and will look into incorporating much of this into my med bags.

One of the son's had brought me a tourniquet back from Iraq and I carry that in the woods when using a chain saw..

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    melbo, Ganado and Altoidfishfins like this.
  10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Interesting point Don't. I use a chain saw way out in the sticks. Last year I lost my balance and almost fell backwards (no, WASN't drinking at the time, not suicidal).
    I had gotten done with a cut and released the throttle. The chain was spinning down as the tip of the bar contacted my left shin just below the knee. It ripped my jeans open and lacerated my leg. Fortunately it wasn't very deep and the jeans took most of the damage, bound up the chain and stopped it.
    Had that been worse, a tourniquet would have been a very nice thing to have.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Ganado, Yard Dart and melbo like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is why they (Chainsaw OEMs) were FORCED to put Chain Brakes on Consumer Models of Chainsaws.... to many Amateurs, get themselves chopped up, out in the brush....

12. Dont

Theres a lot of experienced loggers that get cut up by saw's or roll a skidder and crush a leg or arm.. And if noone gets there quick enough AND knows what to do, they can bleed out real quick..

Ganado likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yes, the woods is a dangerous place, even if one is NOT operating a Gas Powered Saw... This is also why commercial Loggers ALWAYS work with partners, when out on the site. Being alone in the woods, and doing ANYTHING, other than just walking on a trail, is a recipient for Trouble. When I am away from the Cabin Site, I carry a Radio, so I can call AlaskaChick, if I have an issue. When she is not here, I rarely leave the Cabin Site, and if I do, I carry a Radio that can reach the USCG Area HighSite. Even then, if they were to deploy, as soon as I called, they are still one hour away. When I collapsed a Lung, last winter, it took them 3 hours to get here, and another 1.5 hours to get to the ER, at the Hospital, in Town. The last place one would want to be, in injured, is out in the Bush, Alone, with no Comms....

14. Dont

Usually carry my cell phone when walking around the property.. Especially now that the mrs's classifies me as "the gimpy old man"..

1. melbo
  2. melbo
  3. melbo
  4. Dont
  5. melbo
  6. melbo
  7. melbo
  8. Dont
  9. melbo
  10. JBRIII
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7