Tactical Operations - Mobile Command Equipment

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Brokor, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

butt1. Tactical operations involves many facets, including terrain navigation awareness essentials, and air traffic monitoring just to name a couple. Having a mobile computer to use on the move and at a base of operation can be crucial to the success of any mission. This is why I have decided to adopt a very streamlined system to incorporate all of my digital maps and files as well as permit me to utilize the SDR. I am going to begin by listing the equipment and briefly covering the purpose of this setup...

DSC01111b.JPG The Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1. I bought this straight from Japan for a cool $140 pretty much brand new. Link to specs: https://na.panasonic.com/ns/180107_Spec_Sheet_Toughpad_FZ-M1.pdf

"The TOUGHPAD® FZ-M1 is equipped with the industry’s broadest range of configuration options. Its fully rugged, sealed design is certified to meet MIL-STD-810G and IP65 specifications and withstand drops from up to five feet, water, dust and other elements."
    Of course, it is a discontinued item, so a search on the secondhand market will be necessary.
    I bought a backup battery and a new, larger M.2 hard drive and more RAM, an SDR and antennas with a bluetooth keyboard, and an EMP bag by Mission Darkness. I can route the antenna through the gear as needed and the SDR is kept cool on the outside.
    DSC01173.JPG DSC01176.JPG DSC01175.JPG
    DSC01174.JPG This is looking down as if wearing the MOPC with the admin pack flipped open. It can be quickly closed up again as needed. I also attached some velcro behind the unit to keep it in place. I kept the Win SSD and stored it, and installed a Ubuntu OS on the new SSD. I am still in the process of making it all work right, and some utilities require a bit of learning with the SDR. Also, it's important to note that I still haven't found an adequate method of using the SDR for air traffic monitoring without paying a subscription fee. This challenge is still ongoing. I can still use the SDR for a wide range of monitoring radio signals in the meantime.

Purpose: Mostly, I'd like to use this for maps and monitoring air traffic with the SDR, and as a backup for radio signal reception. My mobile operations command gear will be complete once all of this has been thoroughly tested.

DSC01172.JPG All stored inside the kit. I just need to zipper this up and I will be on my way...

Mission Darkness: Amazon.com
    Admin pack by Wynex: Amazon.com
    1090/978 mhz antenna bundle: Amazon.com
    Car charger for Toughpad: Amazon.com
    Fosmon mini-keyboard (bluetooth): Amazon.com
    Tiny RTL SDR: Amazon.com
    512GB M.2 SSD: Amazon.com

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yall better put a reel OS on it ;) ;)

Tempstar and duane like this.
  3. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Gosh and to think I used a field notebook for all those years

Brokor, sec_monkey and Tempstar like this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Aircraft monitoring is easy with an SDR. Just use SDRSharp and look at the spectrum scope. You know civilian air trafiic is around 120 mhz and Military is around 230 mhz, just look for traffic and click on it. The webpage for specific airports will also show the frequencies in use at that location. If you are talking about seeing flights and ADS-B info then navigate to radarbox.com. If you want to monitor directly and your SDR is an R820T, then there is software out there for that too. I did this way back when and it is amazing how far away you can receive signals from. Visit RTL-SDR.com for a treasure trove of info on this.
    No one hates Windows more than I do, but for a survival computer it is what I would use. Strip off as much overhead as possible, turn off updates. The sad truth is that almost everything I want to run on mine runs on windows and I grew tired of searching repositories for ways to do what I wanted on Linux.

5. Brokor

I can''t blame you for using Winblows. Also, I wanted a way to integrate everything without the use of anything internet in a grid down scenario.
    Having access to a satellite would be ideal...

6. Brokor

HA! Hell, I still keep the old school map and compass around as a fallback. Shit, I don't think I feel comfortable navigating without a compass anyway. Even with a magnetic excursion, I just feel naked without one.

snake6264 likes this.
  7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Might want to check out KM4ACK on youtube and his website. He does lots of off-grid ham radio setups and has scripts available for installing many of the common radio tools on a raspberry pi or similar type of computer.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KM4ACK/videos

Brokor and sec_monkey like this.
  8. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

I also follow OH8STN. Lots of great info on his youtube as well.

-JW

sec_monkey and Tempstar like this.
  9. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

my edc field notes
    thumbnail.

sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7