Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Hanzo, May 9, 2015.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Any student is a worthy effort to a teacher, and any companion of spirit a balm to the soul. I am sure he would not offer if he did not find it worth his time.

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  2. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I agree. I got as much out of teaching kindergarten than I did 8th grade. Maybe more.

Mike and Hanzo like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That is a great analogy. I would be as a kindergartener to him as a professor. Even his practice dummy would whoop me. But I would learn a lot.

Mike, Ganado and madmax like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Thinking of doing a video of the sword form my students are learning now. Still camera shy though. Weird. No problem speaking and performing in front of large groups. Just not into selfies and stuff like that.

Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Sword stuff cool!!! Haha. I'm curious to see it, but no pressure.

Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

This four year old girl is phenomenal! I want to grow up to be as good as her in tai chi. I hope she keeps her training up. She is already special and could become something beyond that.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Poetry in motion.:)

Hanzo likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ah -- the flexibility of youth!!

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Impressive for her age. Most kids can't concentrate beyond three minutes. Absolutely phenomenal!

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The sword and the sandals. Since I was wearing mygo pants (mygoHawaii.com 2010 to tai chi, it was sandals for the feet. Looked like I was looking for a rice paddy.

[​IMG]

In class, we were talking about kinetic energy and momentum. The analogy being someone being hit by a bullet versus a truck. Both work. Just different.

Ganado likes this.
  11. kellory

A crossbow bolt and an arrow. Both may be moving the same speed, but the bolt has more mass, so better pass through.
    Or being hit by a motorcycle vs a truck.

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The bullet uses speed to generate energy while the truck uses mass. A slow moving truck can still mess you up.

kellory likes this.
  13. kellory

Yes, but that is how I explain why crossbows do more damage than bows, to fledgling shooters.

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Tai chi classes love food. Party today.

This was just the dessert tables. There was cake too.

[​IMG]

And we had great entertainment. Hula...

[​IMG]

Tai chi demonstrations. And the grand finale... Our very own Magic Ron. Always enjoy his shows. And since he sat next to me, I got the close up magic, well, close up. Most awesome. He got out of the straight jacket in honor of Houdini.

[​IMG]

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

So strange... got asked to go to a Renaissance Fair and perform the tai chi sword. That doesn't quite sound like a fit to me. Mulling it over to see if I want to do it. Last minute too. It's for tomorrow.

I'm leaning against not doing it. What do you guys think?

Ganado and kellory like this.
  16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I, for one, would vigorously encourage you to do some video's.. Us old mountain monkeys would greatly benefit for it..

Hanzo likes this.
  17. kellory

Do it.
    It is a fit with SCA folk. I happen to be certified in "light weapons" which is mostly Asian Martial arts weapons.
    "Heavy weapons" is full armor, sword and shield, long sword, ect.
    And yes, video would nice.

Hanzo likes this.
  18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Go have some fun. Might even win over some converts.

Ganado likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Nice of you to say, @Dont. But there are so many videos on youtube. And they are all better than me. So take your pick.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo for the comments. I was also asked if I had Renaissance Fair type costumes to wear. Uh... no.

After getting their email following my questions, I am actually leaning towards not going for two reasons. I don't think they are clear what they want. They want me to "do my thing." What the heck does that mean? Then they said they would like it if I don't bring a real sword because it will be crowded. And people and kids will be mulling about in the space they have for me.

Sounds like it is not appropriate for me to unsheathe. And I don't want to be a prop. Rather do something with the family for that period of time. And I don't have to be in cstume.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7