Take care East Coast Monkeys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Will be thinking of you during this time ahead. May your preps see you through.

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Leaving my good truck at the shop where there are no trees to fall and driving my old truck into the forest in which I live! Also, have to buy a car charger for my new phone! and...restock my batteries

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Keep your head down, RH, but the latest track here -
    http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/Active.aspx?storm=1&type=track
    - points toward missing New England except for "mild" breezes. The projected track keeps swinging west, might even miss me. (At one point, the track had it going right over my remote location.) Fingers crossed for all the DE, VA, MD and NJ monkeys that can't get out of the way.

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hope it misses you too G.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is going to hit "Some" Monkeys, along the east coast, somewhere.... Let us Pray, that they can Hunker Down, and make it thru, till the storm dissipates..... We get these kind of storms once or twice a Year, usually in the fall... 130 Knot winds, and Inches/Hour rain. so far this Fall, not one has shown up. So Far we have had Clear and Crisp. (22F mornings) Into every life, a little Rain must Fall...... ..... YM and Wx MV.....

6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Take care East coasters.If anyone can handle this you Monkeys can.

7. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I just got done with two days worth of work- tree trimming, removal, leaf removal, already had gas stored, have planty of food, water, moved one of my jeeps out into a field so it won't get hit by falling branches or trees. Here in PA, we are not used to a full-fledged storm like this, and it's pretty unprecidented. Not much more I can do now other than sit back and watch, and wait for the first thing to break.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dunno where in PA you are, but up here, Irene gave us pretty good training last year. May not be used to it, but ready.

9. gunbunny

Close enough to the projected path line from the NOAA that if the eye were to still be intact (not very likely) I'd be able to see it out the window. It would be neat if I actually did.

I did get to see the outer bands of a hurriscane span from one side of the horizon to the other once. When you looked at it colsely, you could see the whole thing spinning... Very eerie. I was supposed to be on vacation and we went camping. Of course, the hurricane hit NC so we went inland a hundred miles or so. Slept in the tent with 30 some mph winds blowing by.

Back to present time, the wife and I got everything battened down and the kids have been tucked in for a few hours ago, now we're enjoying some Anejo Petron tequila and cayanne perrer chocolate and will put in for the night shortly.

Tomorrow will be a little different story, I'm sure.

10. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

Battened down, fueled up, cozy and tight. I love waterfront living, but sometimes it is too much work, been moving things to higher ground and sandbagging all day, ready for some zzzz's. Good night to all my east coast brothers from the top of the Chesapeake.

11. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

Tomorrow I will start to fixture things. The neighbors will look at me like I'm nuts, but this mofo is headed right over central NY.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I think a few weeks earlier this storm would have been much worse. I am counting on good old fashioned fortune to smile, and for this storm to quickly dissipate. Too much rain at once, and we will see a great deal of flooding up here in the NE for sure. Like Ghrit said, hurricane Irene was no laughing matter, bringing record flooding to the region. I am hopeful this storm is not as bad as the news calls for, and prepared just in case it is.

13. gunbunny

So far so good... We're in the lull at the moment. I stayed up until 3:00am this morning to wait out the worst of it. Lots of wind and rain in horizontally moving sheets, but not much damage where I'm at.

Some branches have broken, and some larger trees toppled down in various streets. The trees in my backyard are almost trimmed to nothing (I will be cutting them down completely later on) and roped together to keep them from bending into my house's power lines.

The power blinked out for about 5 seconds last night, but that was about it. I'm still connected and actually registered for next semester's classes online a few minutes ago. Isn't technology wonderful?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Sandy_1710_30_2012.

Current image, 17:10 Oct 30, 2012. Sandy has landed and brought flooding, fallen trees and numerous fires, leaving hundreds of thousands without electricity and a few days more to have concern.
    (click image for larger view)
    The fronts associated with Sandy are quite unique, since the low pressure created is so strong. The NW front is keeping Sandy right on the east coast, and it is doing battle with the storm. Sandy was sweeping across, but is now crawling westward, keeping its pressure system constant.

Here's a .gif image I made of the GOES satellite imagery:
    Sandy_test_sm.

It seems like this storm isn't going anywhere any time soon... Sandy_fronts_1710_30_2012.

15. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Hope all northern East Coast monkeys are alright! We in the Deep South got to sit this one out, but we see the horrid devastation and the stories of home loss and deaths on the news. This was a true Katrina-Level-Event for the folks up there!
    Now, to see how well (or not...) the Gobermint and FEMA respond this time. Have they learned anything? Have they improved?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7