Taking a leap, Moving to Florida on my own

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BailyTheFox, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

@BailyTheFox

I wish you the best in your future. Jump in with both feet...

... and a rat, a bird, your snakes, and your fish.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Good Luck Baily!!!!!!

chelloveck likes this.
  3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Best wishes and be safe. :)

4. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Florida is nice in the winter. In the summer, the traffic gets lighter. Food prices are so-so, but gas is low compared to New York.

FWIW: do NOT go swimming in any of the ponds, lakes or rivers. Every time you see a "drowning" death in the papers, it was really an alligator attack.

William Warren

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

@BailyTheFox
    First my sincere congratulations on this turn of events and for having the bravery to grab hold of it.
    I have been a welder for most of my life, and it has been very good to me. Get down there, get set up, keep yer nose to the grindstone and learn all you can from your instructors.
    It has been my experience that the women who take it seriously make VERY good welders. You WILL take a lot of crap from men with small penises and no self esteem or talent. It WILL happen if you stay in the trade long enough. Prove them all wrong with what you can do. Don't listen to their BS, keep your goals firmly in mind and in front of you EVERYDAY. What do you want from this career? From life? Cut out pictures of these and put them on your bathroom mirror, on the inside of your locker at work if you have one. Someplace where you will see them everyday.
    Take EVERY class/course that is offered. If it is something that is offered, take a T.I.G. class and get good at it. Again, women make great tig welders, the pay is excellent and you don't get nearly as dirty as us stick hands;)
    The welding trade has let me work on every continent on earth, and as a result I've seen great and beautiful things that I probably never would have otherwise. Once your training is complete and you have logged some good experience who knows where the trade may take you? If you have the urge to travel it's certainly possible.

Please,please please stay out of the bars and away from the drugs.
    I have seen many good welders end up with nothing but a bad habit and a criminal record because they went down that path.
    You'll make good money, and it can be easy to start towards the dark side-don't frigg'in do it.

I am here, and will gladly answer any question I can on here or via PM.
    Best of luck to you Baily!

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost, GOG and 3 others like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Don't mix acetylene bombs with oxygen. :D

chelloveck likes this.
  7. john316

john316 Monkey+++

welcome from gainesville.....b safe...pik good friends...study HARD

chelloveck likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Listen to telly, if you stay out of the bad stuff you can be rich by the time you are 35 especially if you travel and specialize in pipe.

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Good luck!

chelloveck likes this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

When you are just starting out keep your expenses low and save your money. A nice efficiency apartment is good. Stay away from having roommates if you can avoid it. Even though you will be able to get a bigger place with a roommate you don't need that kind of drama! Learn all you can and be successful. Stay out of debt. It is easier to stay out of it then get out of it.

11. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

According to my dad there were a surprising number of female welders at the factory i'm going to. I'm used to being picked on after middle school and high-school and know to ignore the mean ones and keep moving. I'll just be welding aluminium so I'll be learning TIG right from the start right?

You and tully don't have to worry about me falling into bad shit, I'm a homebody and people have tried to drag me into stupid shit many times and i've stayed well away from it. I only just had my first drink this past year and i'm not fond of it. I've never even smoked weed before to the chagrin of one of my friends.

I already have the paperwork printed out for a trailer i'm going to rent. No roomates coming that I can think of, no one else can just drop everything and move hundreds of miles away. Not even my boyfriend...

12. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Well that should just be common sense, its fricken Florida. I'm assuming however that the gators aren't in northern Florida, it would get too cold for them long term wouldn't it? Or do they hibernate? I have to ask because there a number of state parks within an hour of where I'll be, like the twin rivers state forest which sounds like an inviting place to swim. And lower gas prices? Sign me the hell up.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

HAHA. No, assume gators can appear at all times and places, cause they do. If you keep your eyes open you are usually good, but there is no metric for gator going out of season.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  14. BailyTheFox

BailyTheFox Monkey+

Well poopy, no swimming anywhere other than the ocean then?

Gator 45/70 and AxesAreBetter like this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Just got to learn to take your chances, and send some time observing before you hop in. They are not just always, everywhere, there is just always a small chance they will show. Kinda like spiders.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Maybe, maybe not.
    The two most popular ways of welding Aluminum are by the TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) process and the MIG (Metal Inert Gas)process.
    Gas tungsten arc welding - Wikipedia
    Gas metal arc welding - Wikipedia

You go Gurl!![winkthumb]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    chelloveck likes this.
  17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

You'd probably be pretty safe in the zone between the alligators' turf, and the sharks' turf. ;) Where they overlap... that's definitely not a place to swim ;)

GrayGhost and Tully Mars like this.
  18. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Alcotec filler is the best. You will probably be using a ton of 5356 and maybe some 4043 or 5183. What will you be welding?

chelloveck likes this.
  19. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

....... back in the 80s I was staying up on the Daly River and working between Daly River and Port Keats (some wild wild country back then - Litchfield NP was still a cattle station in those days, but I digress) the crossing at Daly River was raised so in the dry it was a bit of a fall down. It was also the spot the Bull Sharks turned around as it was the furthest upstream they could get. So it was not unusal to be down on the water and see a Salty and Bull Shark pass in the river. There are a few pics around of NT Salties chewing on Bull Sharks. But the water was nice when it was hot.....

Bailey, for what it's worth I think you are doing a great thing !

20. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Welcome to North Florida.
    As you shall be renting a trailer I would highly recommend that you immediately investigate what the nearest hard shelter is to your location. June - November is Hurricane season, with September typically being the worst for North Florida. There is far more danger from the weather than the wildlife. Sharks skin boots and Alligator handbags are common apparel, but Hurricane accessories are all located within emergency preparedness kits. JMHO.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7