Tallest Mountain to Deepest Ocean Trench

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Jun 24, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Awesome Perspective.

3. cannon fodder

cannon fodder Monkey+

that's quite a distance on that dive, and made in 1960! wonder how far down we could make it now?

4. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Aparently they were better back then than they are now because I had heard on the radio that subs couldn't get to the deep water horizon well.

BWM

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Even if the Trieste could still dive, she is 'observation' only - not equipped to do any work. Strictly up & down, like an underwater balloon - no real maneuvering capability.

We COULD build such a manned vessel, for DEEP work - but would it get enough use to be funded? Robot vehicles are smaller and cheaper - same way NASA envisions near-future space exploration - man is keeping his feet on the ground awhile longer.

I have read of the "JEM" suit - don't know it's depth limitation though. Goes way deeper than a regular rubber-suited diver though. Maybe SC could fill us in on manned depth limitations?

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

IIRC, Trieste was ballasted with lead shot, and the buoyancy/floatation was provided by gasoline in the non pressurized top section. Very limited horizontal maneuverability as wolfie says. No tether for any sort of control and as wolfie also says, observation only. When done looking around, the lead shot was dumped (in a controlled way, of course, to prevent too fast of an ascent.) There have been no others since then that have been manned to that depth that I know of. The Navy had a "research" sub that could go deep, but not THAT deep. NR-1 was a very small nuke powered sub with some limited manipulation capacity.

Manned submersibles GOOD. Robots BETTER (most of the time) for heavy work. Thus spake me, and maybe me only.

7. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

LOL That was mostly sarcasm. [cmfrt]

BWM

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

9. XR750

XR750 Monkey+

Can't go any deeper than than they did in 1960, chalanger deep Which is the Marrianas trench 35,814 ft 10,916 meters thats the deepist place on earth.
    XR750

10. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7