Flu Tamiflu useless?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by E.L., Dec 14, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20051203-094414-4342r

NewsTrack

Report: Tamiflu is 'useless' for avian flu

LONDON, Dec. 3 (UPI) -- A Vietnamese doctor with experience in treating avian flu says Tamiflu, the drug being stockpiled for treatment of avian flue is useless against the virus.

Dr. Nguyen Tuong Van of the Centre for Tropical Diseases in Hanoi has treated 41 victims of H5N1, following World Health Organization guidelines and administering Tamiflu to her patients. She told the Sunday Times of London the medicine had no effect.

"We place no importance on using this drug on our patients," she said. "Tamiflu is really only meant for treating ordinary type A flu. It was not designed to combat H5N1."

The newspaper said the finding casts doubt on the British government's pandemic flu policy. The nation's top medical official, Sir Liam Donaldson, has ordered 15 million doses of Tamiflu be stockpiled.

Van said the only way to keep avian flu patients alive is to "support" all their vital organs -- including the liver and kidneys -- with modern technology like ventilators and dialysis machines, the Sunday Times reported.

The WHO has acknowledge Tamiflu had not been "widely successful in human patients," but said it believes it would have been more effective in many Asian countries if it had been used earlier in the illness.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

If you read up on tamiflu, the category of drug it is in is an "anti-Viral" I kills and limits Virus' of any type.

Useless on Avian? Dunno. I suspect that in some cases, Avian may work so quickly that by the time 3-5 days went by and the patient got really sick, it was too late.

It's not a magic bullet.
    Could be better than sucking on pebbles though...
    I have it

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I figured that would get your attention. Pesonally, I think it is better to have it and not need it, rather than need it an not have it. Besides, this Dr. was VC. He probably doesn't use it on his patients because he is stockpiling it to sell!

4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

There are some that will take it as soon as they hear it is in their area and people are getting sick.... need to take it quick and double dose depending on how bad it is.... yup.... right now .... watch what people and Govts are doing ... not what they are saying.... everyone is scrambling for these anti-virals.... definitely better than sucking on pebbles....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7