Tannerite

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Jul 6, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

[​IMG]

The sheriff says stay back 100yd per pound.
    The way pressure and sound waves propagate I would take the square root of the number of pounds and times that by 100. So 2lb is safe at around 141 yards and 10 pounds is safe at 316 yards.
    Always follow instructions on the product.
    All bets are off if put it in a lawn mower, refrigerator, steel drum concrete mixer or car, ect.
    Don't scare your neighbors with it as that could be considered "negligent use of explosives" even some where like newmexico where the explosives laws are pretty lax.
    And you better not damage someone else's property as that could be considered "reckless use of explosives".
    So if you do knock a picture off a neighbors wall or break a window I suggest bend over backwards to kiss their ass so the authorities don't get involved.
    I'm low key I have never set off more than about 1/4 of a pound.

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

How would one blow stumps with the stuff?

Ura-Ki, UncleMorgan and HK_User like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't use it on stumps. Use something like fuse igniteable flash powder.

4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

There are several videos out there that show people doing stupid stuff with explosives.

A classic is this "Russian" guy who shoots a rigged truck and somehow survives an absolute metal-storm of shrapnel.

He's apparently lucky enough to not need any brains--or, at least he was that day.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

It was a put-up video, concocted for commercial gain. The shooter was a paid actor--not even Russian--and the last I heard the authorities were looking for him and the guy that hired him.

When I was a kid they brought a railroad guy in one day to explain why is was dangerous to mess around with train couplings. Some of them have a lot of pressure in the lines.

Then they brought in a LEO who showed everyone what a blasting cap was--and why you shouldn't mess with them, either.

That was Our Tax Dollars At Work--and it was some of the best money the School Board ever spent on education.

I don't have the slightest doubt that it saved several kids from dying early and ugly.

They should do the same with fireworks, black powder, "found" ammunition, and explosives like Tannerite.

You could use that stuff to peel safes like a banana. Or blow parts of yourself (and your friends) into several adjoining counties.

One other thing they should do is make an exception to the medical privacy laws regarding Emergency Rooms and auto crash victims. Nothing exotic: Just allow a class full of Driver Ed students to come in and observe through a window--so they can see first-hand what happens when speed doesn't quite kill. Or does, but not real fast. Or not fast enough.

Life is dangerous, and refusing to educate our kids on the very real dangers they WILL encounter is just plain stupid--if it doesn't actually constitute Child Neglect.

But then, the Commies that have taken over the Guberment Skools don't really care about the kids.

They just want to dumb them down into brainless worker-bots.

As for blowing up stumps, I'd rather spend two weeks burning them out than spend two weeks picking broken toothpicks out of my fabulous fundament.

5. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Way, WAY back when, the local Sheriff who would help teach driver ed in HS got permission somehow to let the class observe autopsies of crash and firearms fatalities.I recall a fair amount of barfing and kids leaving the observation theater. I also recall very few of my classmates getting into serious wrecks.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No comment, on self-produced Stump removal Powder.. but Tannerite is NOT the best stuff to use...A similar Binary Setup has always worked for me...

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

In my former life, I got to spend time working with the local Fire and rescue, and one of the calls was a dude had mixed several pounds of tannerite and set it off and it blew him into several large pieces, the main one surviving, that was eye opening to say the least! Most of us had never even heard of tannerite back then, but we sure did that day! Pretty crazy stuff!
    Later on, I got to go through explosives training and demo as a requirement of my duties, part of that was to show the results of what NOT to do, and why it's never a good idea to use more then needed for the job!!let's just say, that training came in handy later on! Finally, I spent several tours dealing directly with the after effects of dudes getting blowed up, every one was a heart wrenching experience and there were an awful lot of them who are now horribly disfigured, I got to be the one to treat them, often the first one, and lemme tell ya, looking into a man's eyes after he just got his shit blowed off isn't a fun experience!
    Play it safe out there, there are a million and a half ways to kill yer self, explosives ain't a good way to go!

8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Tannerite....no doomstead should be without it!

Ganado, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

More proof that the gene pool needs chlorine!

Ganado, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Tannerite is like guns, cars anything dangerous.
    They are all fairly harmless until someone picks it up does something stupid with it.

11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

One piece of info I can't seem to find is how long it's stable after mixing. I can think of scenarios where prepositioned jars might be useful.

Gator 45/70 and Lancer like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I had read something about that several years ago,But haven't located the longevity of the mix either.
    They claim it wont start a fire....Trust me,It will....

13. BTPost

Ammonium Nitrate/Aluminum Dust (Tannerite) is highly stable for at least a few months if it is sealed where air can’t degrade the Aluminum... once exposed to moisture and Air the Aluminum will slowly oxidize into Aluminum Oxide which makes the combination much harder to detonate.. (Requires significantly higher energy input to kick it over the entropy Knee, due to the lack of raw fuel) This can be alleviated by adding a new fuel source, but that also makes it significantly more sensitive to detonation, at much lower energy levels... So not a good idea, if you do not know what you are doing... Just Say’en....

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have seen dark aluminum powder where active charcoal is milled with the aluminum powder and it's supposed to help keep the aluminum from oxidizing.
    No?

toydoc and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

I know about 3 of these guys,

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. BTPost

Well maybe, for a while, but it also adds fuel to the mixture and that lowers the entropy knee, and therefor makes it more sensitive, and less stable, as it sits...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Stump Removal !!
    Long augar drill bit , say 5/8 17mm
    drill down the core of the stump till dirt is coming up !

Add corn kernels fresh and frozen till pigs root stump out , feed pigs less , don't starve them , they need power .
    Im saying less than 8 bucks !! of corn
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I never thought of using pigs as stump removal.

More sensitive may be better depending on what you're doing with it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

E is for explosives in BATFE. Dude doesn't know anything about explosivs. Doesn't even know what BATFE explosivs agents do.

Dbock says "we have experts who worked decades in that department".
    Then why in the flying fuck wasn't one of those experts with decades of experience promoted to BATFE director?
    PETN is another way to spell FUN.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7