Tap to Click

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Minuteman, Jun 9, 2016.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I don't think the complaint is a sound issue.
    It's a function issue.
    he touches the touch pad. It clicks and sets the focus of the mouse pointer at that location in the window that has focus.
    It's extremely painful especially when attempting to write emails. You'll be typing a long and all of a sudden your palm or thumb hits the touch pad and jumps to the middle of your document and you keep typing along inserting right in the middle of something you've already typed.

Not a bug so much as a feature. And an old driver may have replaced the functionality to shut the feature off.

Ok time for me to sign off as it's way past my appointed slumber time.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Cruisin Sloth and Minuteman like this.
  2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

upload_2016-6-10_6-37-53.

3. Minuteman

As for sound, my speakers blew a long time ago so I have no sounds on it. As for icons for touchpad, none. I have spent literally hours searching for anything that says "Tap" in any form or any reference. Nothing. And every step by step guide I have found doesn't match what is on my machine. I can find "Touchpad" and "Mouse" controls but nothing for "Tap". When using the touchpad to move the cursor if I am not careful and press to hard it drags things, clicks on things, highlights things, very annoying. I hate the feature. Maybe I will just have to carry around a mouse with me and use that. I found a "Uninstall" for the touchpad but hate to do that. Last resort kinda thing.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I am also aggravated by accidentally hitting the touch screen while typing. (On a W10 laptop machine.) One of my intended projects is to disable the touchpad entirely, since I use a wireless mouse for working on screen. If I can't find a way to disable the pad, I'll be taping a piece of cardboard over it.

5. Minuteman

Mine crashed a few months ago and after days of trying to get it to reboot it got to experience the thrill of flight as it sailed across the living room. And, I swear to God, the damn thing came back to life!! But the speakers are shot, probably jarred something loose. But the tap feature was already an issue before then. But the strange thing is that as technically inept as I am, I managed to disable it when I bought the thing a couple years ago. And I don't remember ti being hard to find at all. But now there is absolutely no icon, no tab, nothing. Has me wondering if some update over the years changed it. Oh well. I am buying a new one soon anyways. Guess I will deal with the annoyance until then.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Did you get this resolved?

if not if you look at the bottom right of your screen in the system tray there is an icon for your touch pad, you can generally configure it there... if no you need to go to

start
    and type in

device manager

to find the touch pad that way

7. Minuteman

No icon on the screen, Device manager takes me to Dell Touchpad

upload_2016-6-10_10-40-7.

Tried each one of those tabs. Nothing but the "Uninstall" .

The only tab that might let me do something is this one but it won't give me access to it.

upload_2016-6-10_10-43-52. upload_2016-6-10_10-40-7. upload_2016-6-10_10-43-52.

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Driver issues, what a PITA.

well before you send it flying again, you might want to try uninstalling the driver and letting windows update find the updated driver. That may work for you if it detects the correct one.

the final option would be to go to the synaptics website and download their driver Software Drivers | White Papers | Videos | Synaptics for your Operating system.

Minuteman likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Run as administrator" might be an available thing to clik on if it won't let you make changes. Sometimes a right click finds that.

Minuteman likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

In your control panel is there anything for altering 'mouse properties' ?

Finsl suggestion, if you have a mouse plug it in and forget the annoying oad. I hate those things

Minuteman likes this.
  11. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

nice job with the pictures, very helpful trying to troubleshoot. You're definitely on Windows 7 and the i7 processor tells me it's a nice machine, as long as everything works.
    I'm not sure what's left to look at that you haven't already, but the "Device Manager" is not where you'll find what you want, that's more to do with the driver version and that kind of thing. You want settings, and I would have thought you'd find what you're looking for in the first few tabs of the box you found in post #11.
    I'm attaching a portion of your desktop with a big red arrow pointing to the overflow these guys are asking about. If you click that little "up arrow" there, it shows all the other icons that want to show next to the clock but don't fit. Usually the "touchpad properties" will be one of these and if there is a place for what you want, this will be it.
    If you have an old keyboard around the house, just skip using the laptop keyboard entirely and use that. Same with a mouse, don't use the touchpad.

systemtray.

If you get a mouse and want to just completely disable the touchpad, that should be possible in the Device Manager.

Ok, skip TeamViewer. Maybe if you still need it we can find some way to remote in and help you.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I would not use team view with anyone, it gives too much access to your comp.
    no offense @Idahoser but team viewer leaks like a seive

13. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ok. Thanks

Ganado likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

join me is free and has single use

Idahoser likes this.
  15. Minuteman

Some good suggestions. Uninstall then try to download an updated version. I might try that. Think I can figure that out. As for the little up arrow, tried that too, nothing there.
    Next time my BP is on the low side and needs a boost I will fiddle with it some more. But for now I have a wireless mouse that I use sometimes. Might just start using that and forget the Touchpad all together.
    I'm buying a new laptop soon. I have to find the chance to get into town to shop. I think I'm going to get an Alienware with 17" screen. I like Dells and it has all the features I am looking for. Numeric keypad, backlighting, screen made for middle aged people,LOL.
    I once had a young guy trying to help me adjust the resolution(? how big stuff is on screen?). He kept telling me to look for 1080p or something, I finally told him "There's no button that says "For 50 yr old eyes" !!!"

***BTW, thanks everyone for your help, appreciated.

Ganado likes this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thanks VT on the post , I thought it was noise , AS i fix many of these POS puters.
    Dell has driver updated software to disable that center feature , I kicked dell & moved into Panasonic toughbooks

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7