Tasty animals.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Ron, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I like to watch those nature programs on TV and while I enjoy the show and the photography. I always wonder what many of the animals taste like. Penguins and seals and about most of the animals. Am I alone in this?

Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've wondered that a few times. I always thought seals would be kind of fatty and greasy. Don't know why. I'd almost bet ya skunk would be good , as long as you don't bust that scent sac during the skinning. They just have that smell to keep other animals from wanting to eat them. That bad smell is a ploy , I bet their better than a ribeye,,,,,[LMAO]

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Do, please, let us know ---
    :whistle:

4. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I do.

Jack London and Zane Grey talking about bear stew and roast mountain lion comes to mind.

Early explorers living on whale blubber and seal meat......yeah, I understand.

5. Zimmy

Coon and javelina are nasty. I'll save you the efforts.

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Grandpaw used to cook coons,,,,been a right good while since I've eat any , can't say I remember what it taste like..
    To Ghrit--- I've not been able to muster up the gonads to try and get past that smell. That being said , I'll stick to the Ribeyes till we have full and massive SHTF scenario,,,and all the other critters have been depleted.

Hanzo, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Actually Seal wasn't too bad, a bit chewy and pretty oily, but it did have what I might call almost a enjoyable flavor! Almost!
    Whale was flat out nasty, kind of a cross between seriously over smoked salmon and rancid olive oil! I swear the piece that I had could have lubed a prop shaft for a month in salt water! Still, My boots are still water proof all these years later! LOL
    Sea Pidgon sukz, there is nothing you can do to improve on the most foul of fowl! Most fur bearing animals can be ok, after you get past the gag reflex! Bear is best mixed to other red meats, especially those with a very low fat content ( or you are married to one who trims the fat off even the choicest cuts) and it adds a nice flavor, or you grind it up into hamburger or make sausage out of it! Brown bear is the best, Grizzly is, well Gristly!

Hanzo, 3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  8. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Not alone and I try everything I can ask me what a sea turtle taste like I would so eat a walrus or a dophin ask me what the last dodo bird taste like post-6475-0-39245800-1438986245_thumb.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Hanzo, Thunder5Ranch, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  10. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

I do like deer...elk ...bear...Grouse...
    But havin' et 'coon , possum and skunk...I gotta say Nope , not unless there is nothing better to eat.
    Remember the old saying :
    You are what you eat....and 'coons , possums and skunks being scavengers ...well I think you get the idea...

All that said ...
    I did go to SERE school while in the Army...so grub is grub and they beat going hungry.
    Andy

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Lot of wild game takes more effort in butchering than most people take. Scent glands, etc, must be removed and it often require soaking in salt water, etc and ageing and proper herbs and cooking to make it taste good. Grand dad ate birds, sparrow on up, quail, pheasant, grouse, pigeon, are all good. Coon if young and cooked right is fairly good, rabbit, beaver,deer, bear, moose, caribou, elk, several kinds of snakes and lizards were all good. I have had javelina in New Mexico prepared by an Apache cook and it was very good. Old timers in New England used to raid the Puffin nests and some of the other sea birds for food, said adults were to fishy but could be eaten if you had to. People who live in cold climates crave oil and fat and will eat what we would not eat.

Hanzo, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man you guys eat some strange things..............said no one from Louisiana, hahaha

Hanzo, Dont, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  13. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Copy KIMG0437. KIMG0151. Copy KIMG0437. KIMG0151. KIMG0421. KIMG0128. Copy KIMG0032. 8724-a4c545942227a801b80948df38304593.

Bob cat to frogs

Gator 45/70, Hanzo and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I was told sea turtle steak and turtle soup is really tasty. I am about up for anything but I think anything feline would not be good to eat but I could be wrong. My dad ate a cat when he was little and about starved during ww2. My grampa showed up with a skinned "rabbit" My dad said it was great tasting. Starving folks are not so picky! Some good articles by folks eating various critters on YouTube. I figured seals n such would be kinda greasy. Tell people you want to eat squab, Then tell them what that is and they get grossed out. It must be tasty considering certain Pigeons were hunted to extinction. (passenger pigeon) I have eaten various cajun food over the years and while at times it was tough to figure out what it was? It all tasted good to me! Gator tail and crawdad pie are really good.
    Thanks for some good responses!

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ummmmmm Ratlin Snek! Yummy!

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  16. POW s that survived internment on Rock Island said rat tastes just like squirrel and cat tastes like rabbit. 'course they was kinda hungry. Ask Chell what Abbos consider good tucker.

17. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'm a member of PETA People Eating Tasty Animals!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  18. Zimmy

Sea turtle soup, soft shell soup, and red eared terrapins bbq are all tasty.

Plovers taste great but aren't legal game birds anymore. I liked grown pigeon better than squab even if more liver tasting than emu.

Gators and huge catfish are good but the fat should be meticulously removed to improve flavor.

19. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Here in Cambodia (and elsewhere in SEA), Khmers will eat ANYTHING they can catch. Rats, grubs, crickets, frogs, roaches, birds, dogs, cats, bats, you name it, if they can catch 'em, they will eat 'em.

Southeast Asians do not think, or care one iota about endangered species. They have no concept of the idea behind even saving the females of any species. Take crabs, for example. They will eat pregnant females with no thoughts whatsoever, about the eggs she carries.

It's just like the logging here (again, and elsewhere in SEA). One day, they will consume all their resources and not have anything else to gather or harvest, because they were too ignorant, stupid, or greedy to replant.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Gator 45/70, Hanzo and Homer Simpson like this.
  20. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

You know... I'm not messing with Bishop, he'd eat me for lunch! But what do I care, I'm old and tough.

Rancher

Gator 45/70, Hanzo, tacmotusn and 2 others like this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. Gator 45/70
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Dunerunner
  10. jefferson
  11. jefferson
  12. Motomom34
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. ditch witch
  16. Dunerunner
  17. Ganado
  18. JC Refuge
  19. Sojourn
  20. JC Refuge