Tech ham radio license

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Airtime, Jun 23, 2014.

1. bpaintx

bpaintx Monkey+++

It was all greek to me as well. The polar math was foreign. The website shows the formula and will show the calculations if you want it to. I had the app for months but could not make heads or tails of the math or circuits. I can 't say enough good things about the site, it keeps putting in the missed questions in to the question bank until you have answered it enough correctly. I sat down a couple of hours a night off and on and passed it on Tuesday.

stg58 and kellory like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Kudos for your perseverance!

3. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

You remind me of my Extra exam: I remember being annoyed when I got to the reactance questions, because after months of studying the Smith chart and practicing polar-rectangular conversions, I realized that the questions were worded in such a way that they could all be answered just by knowing the direction of the vector and Kirchoff's law.

Oh, well: learning is never wasted, and there are some mountains that are worth climbing just to prove you can.

Congratulations!

William Warren

4. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

I was fortunate getting into amateur radio when I was 32 yrs old. Cell phones were (and still are) expensive, my kids were young, and I made them get their tech licenses too. I got my general and extra when 5 wpm was still required.
    I have a method for passing the written tests. I print off the question pool, highlight the correct answers in yellow, then read the questions and the correct answers only. I go through question pool two times, NEVER reading the wrong answers. Then take the test. You'll get high 90 to 100% pass. The secret is your mind is only used to seeing the correct answer. The correct answer will jump out at you during the test.

5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

This was the same method I used for my General test, however if I didn't understand why the correct answer was the right choice I would Google the question and usually find a detailed description on the answer. I got 100/100.

Tully Mars, GhettoPass and kellory like this.
  1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid