Tech Q’s on computers/phones plus e-mails and text

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Motomom34, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@DarkLight started a thread on tech security but I often see people, posting for help in the shoutbox over my computer is doing XX. We have an amazing group of knowledgeable people on here when it comes to computers, technical and all that stuff. I am starting this so maybe people can put their question in here and the techies on=-site can assist.

So I will start:

I have an I-phone for business. I was wondering if there is an easy way to forward an e-mail via text? The e-mail is available on the phone so I am thinking I should be able to just send it to a phone number but I cannot find the option. Please note, I ask this as someone who is not very technical so I would appreciate a solution in layman terms.

Thanks- Moto

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Since I run my own eMail Server, and can have multiple Accounts, on the same domain... I have a "Transfer" eMail Account I use for transferring eMails from one Device to another.... I just forward the email in question, to "Transfer eMail Account" and then go pick it up from the device that I need it to be on..... OR, if you have an IMAP eMail Account, instead of a POP eMail Account, then ALL the eMails are held on the eMail Server, and you can see them from ANY Device that is logged in.... until you delete the actual eMail from the Server....

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

So I need to see if I have an IMAP or POP. I can do that, I think

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I use and I-phone for business as well. The phone allows pushing a picture in a text to email. But I am not aware of how to send an existing email into a text. I believe the format/software is different and not compatible, other than just cutting and pasting... I could be wrong though...would not be the first time.

Pax Mentis, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

texts are normally limited to 160 characters. they also cost $$$$ depending on your phone plan.

If the sender and recipient both have apple then iMessage can usually get around that 160 character limit ****** [ with asterisks ]

texts plus emails cause OPSEC plus hacking concerns

have you texted the other person to ask for their email? ;)

[tea2]

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. sec_monkey

update PM part 2 :)

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you use iMessage and or FaceTime, your Comms are End to End Encrypted in both directions.... not even the FBI can break that Comms Setup, without access to the Hardware, on one end.... There are SECURE eMail Apps for iPhones and OSX... like GPG, and others...

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have found some people like texts, other prefer e-mails and it would simplify if I could cross send.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Yard Dart

I use text amongst all of my leads for short conversations to just relay a simple message or share a picture of something. Quick transmission and ease allow for timely responses. I also like the fact that on a text, corporate hacks can not monitor a text, like they can an email..... sometimes even in business, opsec is an important tool to cut out the looky-loos trying to question some issue being discussed. ;)

The down side to an email, I will shoot one to a guy and it will get read in time..... and maybe responded to.... before my ADHD kicks in and I call to discuss the matter.... :rolleyes:

In short, I use text for operational comms pretty heavy, and email is used more for normal business communications.

Ganado, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. sec_monkey

@BTPost

11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Is this what you are talking about. I do this in the air to my wife so she gets my email as a txt when I need her quickly

Verizon
    Here’s how: to send a text message from a computer to a Verizon Wireless customer, compose a new email and use the recipient’s mobile phone number as the email address, with the addition of “@vtext.com” at the end. For example, if the phone number is 555-123-4567, type “5551234567@vtext.com.” The length of the email should be kept to fewer than 140 characters. Once you are finished, hit send.

AT&T
    Send a message to an AT&T wireless device from an email
    To send a text, picture, or video message1 to an AT&T wireless device from your email:
    • Text message: Compose a new email and use the recipient's 10-digit wireless phone number, followed by @txt.att.net. For example, 5551234567@txt.att.net.
    • Picture or video message: Compose a new email and use the recipient's 10-digit wireless phone number, followed by @mms.att.net. For example, 5551234567@mms.att.net.
    • Don't include dashes or spaces in between the numbers.

Send a message to an email address from your AT&T wireless device
    To send a text, picture, or video message1 to an email address from your AT&T wireless device:
    • You can reply to a text, picture, or video message sent from an email address.
    • You can compose a new message and enter an email address instead of a wireless number.

This sends the text, picture, or video message to the email address you entered or replied to. The recipient will see your email address as:

12. Joe13

Joe13 Monkey

Best answer!

All carriers that I am aware of have a @xxxxxxx to add to the end of a phone number to send as an email and they recieve it as a text.

Good thread idea too.

13. Yard Dart

An old dog learns a new trick everyday..... now just to remember that trick. Woof....:whistle:

AD1 and sec_monkey like this.
  1. CraftyMofo
  2. sec_monkey
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Yard Dart
  5. DarkLight
  6. Motomom34
  7. sec_monkey
  8. sec_monkey
  9. sec_monkey
  10. melbo
  11. melbo