Technical question re: this website

Discussion in 'Technical' started by DarkLight, May 19, 2014.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ok. I know melbo is on hiatus for a while but I've noticed something about browsing this website. I will hit the site at lunch occasionally from work and I do it using my data plan because they don't offer wifi and on the 20th floor there isn't a free one available.

The last couple of days (Friday included) I deliberately turned cell data off on my phone because of the rate at which it was accumulating and I didn't want to go over for the month (long story). Usually I don't but it seemed like it was really going up quick.

So today I turned data on for a few minutes and hit the site and it my usage jumped in about 5 minutes by almost 20 mb. Now at home, no biggie but it was noticeable and I only hit maybe 20 pages on the site. No mail downloaded during that time and no apps updated (android) so that means I used 20mb browsing the site in just a couple of minutes.

Does that sound right? Is there something going on in the background on the site that pushes/pulls additional info? Does it not cache pictures, etc. and then only send changes (that may be an issue on the phone, not the site but not sure)? It just seemed excessive for a few minutes of browsing.

--DL

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I generally access this site via my iPhone. For some reason I have blown thru a bunch of data in the last week or so on my data plan and I don't know why but if something here is crunching gobs of data that could explain things.

AT

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Don't know if this is of any help:
    chrome://net-internals/#bandwidth

That will show some of the bandwidth that chrome is using, if you are using chrome. I tested it out. Started at 45k (loading my mail client). I loaded SM "new posts" then went through a couple of threads. My usage was less than 500 Kb.

Are you running any sort of ad blocker?
    Any chance there was a software update that happened to an installed app on your phone?

5. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I noticed no changes to my surfing , had not been here for a week or so and seems ok.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Strange. Is this still the case?

7. DarkLight

Nope, this was quite a while ago and while I don't know what was causing the extra download usage it seems to have stopped (a couple of days after I brought it up actually). Probably a background process that was kicking off about the same time as me browsing the site.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

It was probably while we were serving both http and https. Images and other stuff from Cloudfront was probably sending things in both formats until we explicitly set cf to only serve https.

Sorry for that.

9. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Turn off push for mail and any other apps which may use it, manually check mail notifications, apps should update apps as you use them.

Of course I know dang little about cell phones but this cut my data usage and helped save battery life.

YMMV [tongue]

10. DarkLight

Not to worry, I didn't go over and didn't even have to bump data for the month. Was just a little more careful when I was out and about and all was well.

@NotSoSneaky - That's pretty much what I've done. I used to be around 200MB a month because the old job had wifi at the office. Last month I was able to keep my usage (there's 4 of us using the data) to about 600MB and the family as a whole stayed under 1.8GB.

The wife likes her SoundCloud though. ;)

NotSoSneaky likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7