Gear Review TECSUN PL-368 all band RX

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by DKR, Jul 3, 2023.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The radio:
    upload_2023-7-3_10-37-34.
    cost - around $70 USD.
    Covers LW, MW (AMBCB), FM and Sw 3-30 Mhz. Am FM, SSB (USB/LSB) has an audio filter.
    Comes with wire antenna and rechargeable LiPO cell commonly used in Cell phones. Rechanges via a USB-Micro port. All digital. New style SDR radio.
    Note - there are no long wave commercial services in the US or Canada. You can hear so-called UTEs like NDBs.

Short, blunt review - if you want this for listening to Shortwave, don't waste your money. Suffers badly from AM broadcast blow by.

For AM reception, does well IF used with a loop antenna. Works well on FM.
    The SW, USB/LSB and bandwidth filter works. IF you don't get buried in local AM station bleed thru.

This is a same radio sold by Country Comm - don't believe the hype.

If you live in the sticks - well away from commercial AM transmitters, this may work for you. I can copy CW and the audio filters make this work. I guess I should have known that for $70 bucks, you are not going to get much. Because you don't.

Compared to my Sangean ATS-909, there is no comparison. The -909 is more expensive, but you do get what you pay for there.

Ping me if you have specific questions, I 've had and used this for more than 6 moths.

Bottom line
    Do not buy. No value for the SW listener.

Brokor, Capt. Tyree, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have a Ham buddy that bought one from Countycomm. Your review is spot-on, basically junk. SDR receivers are wide open by design, and his radio picks up everything he does not want it to. As you said, better to spend a few bucks and get something decent.

DKR likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I wanted this to work.
    Fellow over on the Zed has had some luck with this setup. (CW Flea + PL as a transceiver)

I'm going to use my SW3B as the RX half, it is a solid HF rig, but works at 5W, I want to try QRPp for 'fun'.

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I bought the Xiegu X-6100 to keep in the ammo can faraday cage. This thing has unbelievable ears on it, but does have birdies especially on 20 meters, but being a linux based SDR machine that is capable of updates, I'm sure someone will remedy that. A bunch of the caps in my Sony ICF went bad, and it was bought in 1990 so a replacement was in order. The X-6100 was cheap enough to do double duty as receiver and QRP rig. It does 5 watts on internal battery and 10 on external power.

DKR likes this.
  5. CheroKiya

CheroKiya Monkey

I have one of those I bought a few years back. Never use it. I'm looking at the Icom ID-50 handheld hf transceiver that just came out. For just receive the Malahit DPS2 SDR is pretty sweet too. Russian made & It's t/s too. For the price may as well just get a full transceiver though. Even without a license a transceiver is still a good kit item.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7