Teenage girl goes berserk when dad takes cell phone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hacon1, Jan 29, 2009.

1. hacon1

hacon1 Monkey+++

Teen charged in attack on parents

Laurel girl pulled knives after having her cell phone taken away, police say

By IRA PORTER
    The News Journal

A 16-year-old Laurel girl threatened her parents with two large kitchen knives early Sunday after her father confiscated her cell phone.

The frightened parents retreated into their bedroom and locked the door, then called police. It took officers about 10 minutes to calm the girl and persuade her to put down the knives, Delaware State Police said.

"I can't comment on the state of mind of the juvenile, but this is one extreme example of a teenager having something as little as her phone taken away from her and how it affected her emotionally," said Cpl. Bruce Harris.

State police said they were called to the home in the 11000 block of Sandy Ridge Drive at about 3 a.m.

Police said the girl's father heard her talking on the phone in her bedroom, and knew that there were no minutes left on her phone.

He said he suspected the girl had stolen money from her mother's purse earlier in the day to purchase minutes on a prepaid card, Harris said.

After the father took the phone from the girl, she became angry, grabbed two large kitchen knives and threatened her parents, police said.

The parents locked themselves in a bedroom and called police. Police said the teen violently attacked the door.

Police responded and talked the girl into putting the knives down after 10 minutes of negotiating. She was charged with possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony, two counts of aggravated menacing, terroristic threatening, disorderly conduct, theft, criminal mischief and possession of a deadly weapon by a person prohibited.

She was committed to Stevenson House after failing to pay $14,000 secured bond.

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...0328/1006/NEWS <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Ahhaa haa haa spoiled brat.

3. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

wow......just......wow

4. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Just wait and see what these spoiled kids do when TSHTF economically, all over a stupid cell phone.

5. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

There are a whole lot of kids who think they're entitled to life's luxuries. She's just one example.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

So much for counting on the next generation....
    Sheesh!
    Bill

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, no SH*t.

Let's see...teenager, BAD parenting, poor lifestyle, possibly abused. The kid tries to "fit in", often relying on social contact from those she may find a likeness...internet *NOPE* -too expensive...Land Line Phone *NOPE* -bills too high, calls aren't free to other cell phones and parents won't grant her privacy...So this leaves cell phone *NOPE* -too expensive. The girls is going to have to do without. Just slap her and send her to bed, or better yet -ignore the problem and it will all just go away.

You will very rarely ever see me place blame on a child, when we all KNOW that the parenting is what is wrong here -the parents are providing "TOUGH LOVE" to a troubled teen who got that way because of the poor parenting to begin with. So, throw the book at her...I think she is being charged with every crime imaginable...

And now the GOVERNMENT is going to solve all of your problems, right?

Good luck with that.

8. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yep. I've seen many children who were treated as contemporaries/friends instead of being allowed to be children...That way the parents didn't have to spend time explaining all the consequences of behavior to them...and the parents didn't have to be "The bad guy" that takes things away...sheeesh.

They weren't taught the responsibility that comes with freedom...and how can they learn to be adults when they've never learned to be children??

9. 8PW

8PW Silent but Deadly

What I find even more incredible than her behavior is the reaction of the parents - calling the cops - I mean how out of control are they?

10. OzarkSaints

OzarkSaints Monkey++

callin the cops AFTER locking themselves in their own bedroom no less...

11. Tracy

I'll admit, I laughed about the cowardice of the parents, too.

Beware of the monster that you create[nono].

12. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Sounds like what we all have or are created(ing) (allowed to be created) with our gooberment.

13. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I am 43 years old, never married, and have been sterile since birth, which has been a godsend in more reasons that I can think of, and you have just hit the nail on the head. Parents do not want to be parents, that's what the goobermint is for. For parenting is not an easy job, never has, and never will be. So why put forth any effort when .gov nanny will do everything for you.

14. Tracy

Because the return, if you put in the effort, is more valuable than anything that any agency could ever give you.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7