Tempers flare, fist flies on floor of Alabama Senate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E.L., Jun 8, 2007.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Tempers flare, fist flies on floor of Alabama Senate

<!-- date --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> <!-- if ( location.hostname.toLowerCase().indexOf( "edition." ) != -1 ) { document.write('POSTED: 0133 GMT (0933 HKT), June 7, 2007');}else { document.write('POSTED: 9:33 p.m. EDT, June 7, 2007');} //--> </SCRIPT>POSTED: 9:33 p.m. EDT, June 7, 2007

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/07/lawmaker.scuffle.ap/<!-- /date -->

<!--endclickprintinclude--><!--startclickprintinclude--><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>var clickExpire = "07/7/2007";</SCRIPT><!---->Story Highlights

• Sen. Charles Bishop says Sen. Lowell Barron called him a bad name
    • "I responded to his comment with my right hand," Bishop said
    • Barron denies Bishop's story, says he was trying to get away when Bishop hit him
    • Bishop says he regrets throwing punch, won't immediately apologize to Barron

<!--startclickprintexclude-->
    <!--endclickprintexclude-->
    MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) -- Simmering tensions in the Alabama Senate boiled over Thursday when a Republican lawmaker punched a Democratic colleague in the head before they were pulled apart.
    Republican Sen. Charles Bishop said Democratic Sen. Lowell Barron called him a "son of a [expletive]."
    "I responded to his comment with my right hand," Bishop said. Alabama Public Television tape captured the punch. (Watch the punch being thrown, senator's explanation [​IMG])
    Barron denied saying that to Bishop. He said the Jasper senator used an expletive to him and he was trying to get away when he was hit by Bishop on the side of the head near an ear. He said he had not decided if he would file charges.
    "I would like to finish today in a productive manner. I will evaluate the situation tomorrow on what I may do," Barron said.
    After the punch, Barron went into a closed-door meeting with other Democrats. Sen. Vivian Figures went into the meeting carrying first aid supplies, but she said he was not hurt.
    Bishop said he regretted throwing the punch because "that's not the way grown men solve their problems," but added that he would not immediately apologize to Barron.
    The fight came on the final day of the 2007 regular session of the Legislature. Republican senators were using delaying tactics to force the Democratic leadership to bring up an election reform bill to ban transfers between political action committees.
    Barron is chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, which sets the chamber's work agenda, and Republicans were angry that he had not put the election reform bill in a position to come up for debate.
    The Senate had just taken a recess Thursday afternoon when Bishop approached the chair where Barron was sitting. Moments later, security officers and others rushed to separate the two senators.
    The Senate later considered censuring Bishop and expelling him from the chamber for the remainder of the day, but Bishop said that wasn't necessary and walked out of the Capitol, saying he was going home.
    "I love every one of you. Most of all I love this chamber. I'm going home, and you all have a good day," Bishop said.
    Members of the Alabama House said the incident makes the entire Legislature look bad.
    "It's certainly a black eye on the Legislature, and the Senate in particular," Republican Rep. Jay Love said.
    Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    <!--startclickprintexclude-->

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

He only did what i would like to do.[winkthumb]

3. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

I remember film of full fledged brawls in the Israeli version of Congress. Faction against faction, no holds barred fist fights. And those folks all carried guns

4. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Hey if you are going to throw the gauntlet down ya better be ready to back it up. Sounds as if he got what he deserved.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

5. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Maybe we should make politics a contact sport.[wannamesswitme] I bet alot more Americans would pay attintion to it then.[winkthumb]

OGM

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Who wants to line up and put a fist in Chuckie Schumer's grill? [touchdown][winkthumb]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7