TERMINATORS ARE COMING!!! OMGZ

Discussion in 'Tin Foil Hat Lounge' started by enloopious, Mar 16, 2018.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One of the reasons I believe that it is important to understand electronics and technology is to have the means to deal with it as is evolves and know how to combat it if necessary .
    Choosing ignorance IS giving those who drive them their power .

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

and it's a POS. BTDT.

4. enloopious

5. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Self awareness isn't going to happen under current chip and software tech. Unless somebody is hiding something altogether different than our current silicon based hardware processing tech, there just isn't the computational infrastructure to house sentience in an AI. Nor do I think quantum computing is the answer. That said, me thinks sentience outside of life just isn't possible. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but convincing me otherwise is going to be quite a hurdle. I'm not claiming to be of any technically high level of intelligence beyond human capabilities but I've been an avid enthusiast of technology and sci-fi for a very long time. Nor am I religious in my thinking and mind set. It's not that I believe in a god or an immortal soul. I don't for a minute believe that what we as humans think of as self awareness or sentience can be achieved outside of a natural evolutionary process, however. I'm proof reading this over and over as I type it out and I'm finding it hard to convey my thoughts in a coherent manner. I just don't believe silicon is capable of sentience in any form akin to what we humans experience. That doesn't mean I don't believe sentience cannot exist outside of our human experiences, I just don't believe we are capable of spawning it. Outside the birth of our own offspring, of course! As I mentioned this is all just a belief I have, no proof of anything one way or the other. Again, complete lack of the ability to convey my thoughts cogently. Other life must be present in this vast universe or some other if the one we are experiencing isn't all encompassing. I cannot know if it is or isn't. That other life could be of many mind bending techs or processes not present or even conceived of by humans. I'm fairly convinced humanity won't create a sentience beyond our own. No silicon based computational 'mind' created by humans is going to pass the Turing test in my estimation.

Well, you see why I'm not making a killing as a writer... I love AI themed sci-fi. AI is always anthropomorphized to have the behaviors and motivations of us humans though. That makes zero sense to me. I've plots within plots buried deep inside my mind where AI acts completely outside patterns I associate with humanness. Can I put them to paper in an interesting story? No. I've tried...and failed.

I guess I should stop rambling on and commit this thought to digital paper.

Ganado, ghrit and Tully Mars like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ya done gud.

Yet. I don't see a boundary on logic technology other than materials at THIS point. Reduced to simplistic terms, logic is not a lot more than 1s and 0s, it is how they are linked that will do or not do. Reduced to the fundamental particles, yer average electron can spin either way, we just need to figure out how to get them to reverse. Get the switches and electrons lined up right, and they WILL learn and eventually self awareness will develop.

Consider: Somehow, we carbon life forms developed from primordial slime. So maybe WE are the slime ---

Byte likes this.
  7. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I see your point on the eventuality. That in itself could be viewed as an evolutionary process. Time could be key. The tech we've spawned could eventually lead to something of a sentience in the far flung future. Maybe my thinking has just been too narrow. I'm still of the mind that sentience is strictly the purview of a biological evolution. Can't imagine what I wouldn't give to see and interact with a truly sentient AI in my life time though! Could I even begin to understand it? Guess I won't know until I know...

8. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

And besides...the first time my toaster talks to me I'm shooting in until it stops. I'm only human after all! I've seen the movies and read the books. i know where talking toasters leads! :LOL:

Tully Mars, oldawg and ghrit like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Alexa!! Start my toast.:D

Tully Mars and Byte like this.
  10. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Alexa!! She is a perfect example of where I think machine 'learning' is and will remain for quite awhile. She's the next evolutionary step, yet further proving out my notion about sentience. 'She' as even I've referred to her is nothing but a speech to text converter that will perform a programmed function as long as the speech given matches some conditions and there are programmed responses. She can even respond in kind. Or can she? o_O At no time will all the computational power in the world coalesce to allow Alexa to make the jump from processing code as written to saying to me, or anyone else, "Excuse me, I have a thought." If memory serves, I believe there is already software environments within which code can spontaneously be written. However, that will only happen under very specific situations and the code will be structured based only upon pre-programmed conditions. Like feeding a higher level computer language to a compiler. Nothing is spontaneously written on the fly in a sentient sense.

I'm actually reading the 3rd book in the Ender Wiggin saga, Xenocide. The AI Jane plays a prominent role in Ender's universe. In Ender's world and time instant communication across any distance has been discovered and within this framework all of human knowledge is codified in the vast computer networks of the many worlds. Jane spontaneously becomes aware during the second book, Speaker for the Dead. It's quite a compelling story and one of the better births of an AI that I've read over many long years of reading sci-fi. If you read Ender's Game back in the 80's but didn't continue with the follow-up books I recommend you do so. And if you didn't? What kind of sci-fi fan are you! (n)

11. enloopious

12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

That was a good read Byte :)

Byte likes this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

1. The people are still armed.
    2. The people still live with the illusion of being free and that "Democracy" works.
    3. The world is still entirely too overpopulated. The Technocratic society only works on a small scale.
    4. Belief systems (religion) are still many and require becoming one system (hail Pope...)

Otherwise, many parts are in place already, but far from the intended goal we remain.

Ganado and enloopious like this.
  14. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

ya might want to add in... the people think we have a Democracy... but we have a representative Republic.

gii shi kan dug likes this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Sorry, we do not "have" a republic. What we do have is a fascist corporate oligarchy disguised as a democracy. The American representative republic died in 1933, arguably earlier if you're open to the idea of what Lincoln had to do.

16. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Point taken...

17. enloopious

You don't have to have sentience to have an army of killer bots... just saying.

PS, you don't "try writing and fail". You write until you succeed or you give up before you get there. There is no failing in writing. It is a self determined failure, not the failure of the writing. I mean essentially if you have a coherent set of works that successfully make a point you have written. Failure is only in your own eyes.

18. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

,It'going to lead to this, "Hal, open the pod bay doors." "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."

gii shi kan dug and enloopious like this.
  19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Daisy, Daisy, you are my..................... "

Hopefully the builders,are smart enough to put in a failsafe shutdown system. Bot gets uppity - "Good night, Gracie!"

Oddcaliber likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

i know the secret to A I but I'm not telling. ....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7