Energy Tesla's Battery and Car Gigafactory in Nevada.

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by HK_User, Dec 1, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

While recovering tonight from an adventure involving a Storm a Bull and a neighbor's herd I stumbled across this article.

Interesting for sure and maybe part of our future for off grid living.

HK > Time to put out the lights and put down the coffee cup @ 2AM.

Tesla will live and die by the Gigafactory

Tempstar, duane, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

A lot of eggs in one basket. Everyone is trying its best to get his money, lawyers stacked 6 deep looking for any excuse to sue him for a quick buck. It looks like in the longer run it could lead to something, but in the short run, a hit to the stock market, or a recession, could kill it. Our darker complexioned companions seem to think that due to his white advantage and his birth place, he should be destroyed on general principles and they hope to make a quick buck in the process. As a 80 year old white man I have been pushed off the sidewalk in a smaller city in Mass near my home in New Hampshire by a group of black teenagers and just kept out of their way and never went back to shop in that area again. We used to have friends that lived in that area and shopped there, but the stores are closing and our friends have either died or moved and the area is not gentrifying to say the least. Any comments by me are taken by the new city council and authorities as fear and racism on my part. Not meant to hi jack the thread, just point out that Tesla's biggest problems may be political, the economy, and public opinion, not technological.

SB21 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I hope it works out for them.

Not buying gas is nice.
    Once you get a taste of it resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. HK_User

Needing to check on a noise or checking on the cattle is a new way of life.
    Walking out to the barn, opening up the escape hatch to the electric motorcycle, after it has sat for up to 6 weeks, and finding a full charge without any concerns about if it will start is getting to be a habit.
    No more stuck carb needle and float or soured gas.
    Put on the safety gear.
    Just plug in the key and go.

5. HK_User

Territory control is a primeval thing. As such might is right.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Try not to leave lithium batteries at full charge for more than a few days.
    Ideally they should be stored at 2/3 to 1/2 charge.
    When I go out of town for a few days or more I leave my leaf between 92 and 75% charge.

7. HK_User

Systems vary, Check your vendors recommendations.
    Charging || ZERO MOTORCYCLES
    Research has changed opinions. Once Zero recommended and even required keeping the charger plugged in all the time.
    My experience suggested other wise and I risk the loss of warranty by never leaving the charger on after 100%.
    NOW that is the new WARRANTY rules.
    Charged EVs | Zero Motorcycles was forced to abandon DC fast charging option in 2013, Interoperability testing is needed

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Do you use a j1772 or the 1kw charger?

9. HK_User

I use the onboard charger and a 120 volt 20 amp breaker with a 15 amp rated cord.
    I do have the fast charger but have not found the need.

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Personally, I have a vested interest in Tesla and his electric car revolution as I am holding quite a bit of Panasonic stock. I have not seen, as of yet, any positive movement due to this 'gigafactory' or their partnership with Tesla but I do have high hopes for the future.

My guess is that once the technology does break down some of the barriers and electric transportation not only becomes affordable but practical is when the old moneyed interests will make life a living hell for Elon Tesla.

HK_User likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well there is the new glass matrix electrolyte battery in the pipe line and this gigga factory.
    Put the 2 together and we might get some affordable vehicles.
    If they can make a 70+ kwh for my leaf for the price of a new battery ($6500) I will cut a check for one as soon as monday.
    But I feel like I will be waiting a while.

The glass matrix electrolyte is supposed to allow for 3 to 5 times the energy density of current LiMnCo tech.
    With battery breakthroughs always favor the low end of the estimate.

HK_User likes this.
  12. HK_User

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7