Tetracycline from a pet store

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by melbo, Apr 4, 2006.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Bought some today. 8 250mg tablets for $2.50
    Bought a bunch of packets.

My only fear real medical fear come SHTF is infection. Well, it's the onlky one I can stop.
    I know that there are different grades and purities etc. B ut, In a pinch, I'll take the Fish/Dog meds

I'll find a better reference later.
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7465

There have been many questions and comments on the use of aquatic and veterinary medicines for emergency use for people. I have checked with three (3) physicians on this subject over the years regarding veterinary medicines, and all made the same comments:

1. Penicillin for human use has been refined, as the original Pasteur discovery penicillin led to tinnitus (ringing in the ears) with prolonged use. Pasteur worked to discover penicillin as an antidote for "wool sorter's disease," or anthrax. Ultra refined penicillin is no longer a "specific" for anthrax, but veterinary penicillin remains so. Veterinary penicillin is available is USP grade, and is therefore certified pure and useful in humans for its original intended purposes. Veterinary penicillin is available under various trade names, such as "Combiotic," "Pen-Aqueous," Penicillin G Procaine Aqueous Suspension," etc.

2. Veterinary medications are not of a consistent strength, so one must read the label and use the dose rate for that particular batch as for weight, using pigs for the dosage required, as their physiological reaction is extremely similar to humans.

3. Comments (1) and (2) above apply in general to tetracycline as well. For veterinary use, it is always available in USP grade, and therefore certified as pure. Tetracycline for veterinary use is a specific for bubonic plague, and given in doses as listed under (2) above. Common brand names for USP veterinary tetracycline are "Oxytet," "Bio-Mycin 200," "Oxytetracycline Injection Antibiotic," etc.

4. Terramycin (oxytetracycline HCI) Soluble Powder is available in either "TM 25" or "TM 50" strengths, and is listed for use "in poultry, cattle, swine, sheep, and bees." It is for oral use only, and can be used as with (3) above, in dose rates for swine.

5. The U.S. military position states the treatment of choice for anthrax is a mixture of procaine penicillin and neoarsphenamine--NOT normal drug store human penicillin. That, of course, is veterinary penicillin.

6. Veterinary medicines are available over the counter, without a prescription, from many drug stores in horse country and from most feed and seed stores. Therefore, the costs are quite humane.

7. Epinephrine 1:1000 for the treatment of anaphylactic shock is the same as human epinephrine, but the cost via prescription quadruples the cost vs veterinary medicines. This product is now only available from a veterinarian, or by prescription from your physician -- but some veterinary supply stores stock it for sale with only with a signature - by government decree. If you cannot get a supply from a local veterinarian, tell your doctor you're a beekeeper and need to keep some EpiPen Auto-injectors handy, and you should be able to get a prescription for epinephrine.

8. Nolvasan Antiseptic Ointment may be the best wound ointment available. A little goes a long way, so some can be packed in 35mm film canisters and kept in every survival kit. Be sure to label the container!

9. Three physicians read and approved the use of veterinary antibiotics as antidotes for agents of biological warfare, as listed in my booklet, "Biological Warfare: Detection, Treatment & Decontamination," as for these uses prolonged use is not an issue -- saving lives is. And given extreme emergency prolonged use to save lives, even the remote chance of tinnitus should be considered insignificant, as the patient must be alive to have that affect!

There have been several comments regarding the varying strength of nonhuman specific, or veterinary medicines. That is a valid comment, and is one reason for the insanely inflated price of the same medicines from the same manufacturer for human-intended medicines as opposed to those sold for veterinary purposes. In large manufacturing endeavors, it is quite common for different batches or "lots" of almost anything of complex structure to have varying strength from an established "standard." Ammunition reloaders are quite familiar with this concept as it relates to smokeless powder. For example, on a standard burning rate chart where Bullseye is "1" and H-4831 is "100," then IRM 4985 is rated as a "50." When any particular batch or lot tests at "48" or "52," it is sold in bulk to factory ammunition manufacturers, who simply adjust the grain weight of the powder charge for that particular lot of ammunition. Those lots which come in very close to "50" are packaged and sold to individuals for reloading (at significant price increases), and thus the distinction between "canister" and "non-canister" smokeless powders.

Aquatic and veterinary antibiotics have been used for years for human use, and will continue to be used for such purposes, with no ill effects whatever, regardless of any "controlling factors" or authorities who discourage such use. And given their significantly decreased price, lack of any registration or limitations on acquisition, long storage life, and proven therapeutic value, those who are preparing for any long-term emergency would be wise to including them in their supplies.

One source of online veterinary medicines is http://petscriptions.com/index.php

More vet med links - check them for accuracy and still-being-there!

www.shoreland.com/acoem/bioagent.html

www.healthysf.org/pharmacy/hospitals/

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/augmentin-indications-dosage.htm

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/cipro-indications-dosage.htm

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/flagyl-indications-dosage.htm

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/monodox-indications-dosage.htm

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/bactrim-indications-dosage.htm

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/erythrocin-indications-dosage.htm

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/keflex-indications-dosage.htm

www.pharmacynetworkgroup.com/i/nizoral-indications-dosage.htm

DISCLAIMER: IF IN DOUBT ABOUT ANY MEDICAL PHARMACEUTICALS, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN, NOT YOUR LAWYER. WE ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE USE OF ANY PRODUCT, LIVING OR DEAD. THE INFORMATION GIVEN ABOVE IS FOR YOUR EDIFICATION ONLY -- YOU HAVE THE ULTIMATE DECISION ON WHETHER OR NOT TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AND THAT OF YOUR FAMILY.

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good info...but last time I took any penicillin family drugs...I landed in the ER for 11 hours on an IV drip of benadryl and solumedrol....

Been taking it all my life...and 10 yrs ago...can't take it anymore...I guess the colloidal silver and Oregano Oil for now...until I can rotate all the samples my Dr gives me....He thinks I'm nuts..but I really don't care...

3. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If I remember right, you have to be careful with the tetracycline family as they turn poisonous when they expire.

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

At least around here you can also get them all in IV form and the rigs to use them as shots and they seem to be considerably cheaper that way.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

good info

6. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

have to check on this.

I thought so too but read an article that it was the citric acid in the tetracycline that was the bad guy. The article said that citric acid is no longer used it it.
    There should be some way to check on this.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

call a vet

8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Something else I'd caution ya'll about with Terramycin:

Given to last 1/2 point pregnant women, nursing women, or children under 8, it can cause REALLY crappy adult teeth.....stained, soft, prone to cavities like you wouldn't believe.

I was given it back in the 50's at age 3, for a fever, and my adult teeth are total shit.....got so much metal in my mouth, I can't walk thru a metal detector buck naked without setting it off.

I have, however, made the payments on several dentist's Mercedes.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR202552

1. Bandit99
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Tempstar
  5. ED GEiN
  6. ED GEiN
  7. Bandit99
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Ganado
  10. Ganado
  11. marlas1too