Thank You Veterans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Nov 11, 2005.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As the sun rises around the world on this Veterans's Day, the men and women of our armed forces are serving, both stateside and overseas, in the name of freedom everywhere. We don't always take the time to thank those who have been willing to put their lives in harms way on our behalf but on this one day, every year, our country collectively comes together to honor all of those who serve in peaceful times and in combat, but always under the flag we all love so dearly. Thank you all for your service. You are the pride of our nation.

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thank You to all the Men and Women who have kept us safe and continue to do so!

Special Thanks to my Grandfather, Col Redding F Perry; Chief of Staff, 2nd Armored Division, "Hell on Wheels" (Novemember , 1943)

And my father...Lt Col George G Roberts, P 51 Mustang Pilot, WWII.

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Indeed RightHand.

Special thanks to my father (Korea -Army and Vietnam-Navy), my uncles (one Korea-Army, one Vietnam-Navy), my brother (Navy), my sister (Army) and good possibility soon to be in the Navy, my brother-in-law (current Marine Corps), and my exboyfriend and best buddy (former Marine Corps - Vietnam)

Thanks to all the Veterans past, present, and the ones who are just starting.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks Vets, and Dad and Uncles!!

Most days it seems thankless I'm sure. ;)

6. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Thank You to all if the vets and a prayer for the ones we've lost and all of those on duty today !!!!!! I lost my cousin in 1968 I didn't know it for almost 3 weeks till my mail caught up to me !! He was spiecel Please see for yourself http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/citations/seay.htm keep them all inyour prayers !!!! THANK YOU !!!!

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Cephus
    Your cousin SERGEANT WILLIAM W. SEAY Is a Hero by every means of the word hero [bow]

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Since we have never fought a single war since America's independence that was not fueled and funded by banking interests and capitalised on by global corporations, I do not find war time remembrances to be a festive time.

I do, however take off my hat to all those who have served and especially to those who have died and the surviving families of those brave soldiers from our past and those who serve even now, in a war that I am in disagreement with. I will never disrespect our veterans and fellow soldiers, as I myself am one, and many in my family are as well.

On this day I celebrate the hopes that our troops can return safely home, and I remember the deeds that have been done in the past in glory's name and recall my own contributions to the effort to "secure freedom". The only thing which separates me from most others is: I won't blindly acknowledge all of the wars of our recent history and claim they were light and transient causes, because I know better.

God bless America, and especially our troops who do not deserve to be used as cannon fodder.

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Its unfortunate that you honor those who have died rather than all who serve or served during peacetime and in war to protect your right to voice your opinion, an opinion which I personally find rather narrow and provincial

10. Brokor

Oh no, you must have me mistaken. I apologize if I may not have been more clear. I was hesitating even posting anything at all, its just that this is a touchy subject these days. I support every single man and woman in uniform, with exception only to the political heads and generals. No matter what, I support the troops. I support every action taken by those soldiers, and I will always admire them for their courage and service.

I will NOT, however, forgive their Generals and the politicians who make war for profit.

I am a veteran, having served 10 years in the Army, so I feel that I actually have a right to say this. I hope I haven't angered anybody, but I simply cannot live in denial.

11. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I don't take offense Broker at what you say. Then again I was raised that everyone has an opinion and whether I agree or disagree with it they have the right to speak their minds.

That being said it should be noted that when one is writing on the internet it is not the same as when one is speaking and people should consider how they write their words since they don't always come across the same as the spoken word. In this case it's just a matter of miscomunication - very common since none of us can see the other person and quite frankly that's how we perceive quite a bit of what someone is saying by their body posture and their facial expressions.

As for the Generals comment...that's one mans opinion and not mine. They worked their way up through the ranks and did not start out as Generals. A fact I think you seem to conveniently forget. They do not make war for profit but follow their Commander in Chief. Still again that's just the difference between your group and my group (somehow I don't think there is any meeting of the middle between the two).

12. RightHand

I knew that I had read something of my dad's that was pertinent here so I spent some time today searching his writings and found what I was looking for. He was writing about "the little town of Sigolsheim" while entrench in the Colmar pocket in France, the battle for Hill 351, and the German prison camp at Colmar. He said, in part, "we recognized the smell, had smelled it before, it was death but a different kind than we see everyday during battle." Dad went on to say "and in the days that followed I knew in my heart, if I hadn't before, why I was here, why I was fighting and why I was killing as I was trying to stay alive and I knew that as long as I could, I would do everything in my power so that my family never suffered as these people suffered. This is my purpose and I suspect it will be my life."

My dad spent 33 years in active service to his country. He was awarded the Silver for gallantry in action, 3 Bronze Stars, 3 Air Medals, 3 Purple Hearts, a Commendation Medal, and his most prized of all, the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, along with 3 U.S. Presidential citations, 3 Korean Presidential citations, 2 awards of the French Croix de Guerre with Fouregere, as well as many written letters of commendation. It would be redundant to say that he was a hero who served with valor.

And so, Brokor, although it may not have been your intention to offend anyone, I am offended.

13. Brokor

Typical.

I said what I had to say. And for the record, a man is not to be solely judged by what he has done in the past, but by what he does each day thereafter as well. A man may be a hero one day, but that does not mean he cannot make mistakes and do wrong on another.

I served my time. I live each day in service to others. I know what my government is doing to their troops, and I have the proof to back it all up.

</end of story>

Thanks for the chat. Sorry if I stirred the sh*tpot. [camo]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7