1. We've made all our Resources available to guests - would you consider a donation to support us?
    Please don't hotlink directly to these files, share the url from this page's address bar.

Cooking & Food The $10 Jerky Maker 2014-08-09

Do it yourself

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Falcon15 likes this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Made some Jerky this weekend. mmmmm

Brokor likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Thanks for the photos - does look a bit like one of those SciFi horror movies when the hero looks thru the door to see why (fill in the blank) didn't answer...

Would plywood work as well? Or are there issues with the glue out-gassing and poisoning the meat?

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had to laugh because the jerky maker calls for an incandescent light bulb- which all know the politicians have banned. This topic has great suggestions of what to use if you ever run out good bulbs.

I saw Melbo's marinade recipe and it looks hot! may leave out the cayenne for the first batch.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Also- if anyone knows the answer to this I would be curious. I know when I start constructing my husband will suggest wood instead of a box.

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

can't ban these bulbs, no matter what they say. twisties will not work in your oven, or fit your fridge. Some fans will not take them, due to the length, and the big transformer bas will break some machines when people try to force them in. Not fitting fully causes arcing, which in turn is a fire risk, and can destroy logic boards, due to current draw. Not gonna happen. they will always be available. Rough service bulbs, fan bulbs, garage door operator bulbs, oven bulbs are all the same. heavier filament, and a slightly smaller globe. (oven bulb also has a heat coating for the glass.)

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    Motomom34 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I like how the resource lets you know this is not FDA approved. I agree with the author. I think fully cooking prior to drying would not be good.

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

10. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Hmph...not FDA approved? Well considering what the FDA does approve, I would say not having their approval can be a good thing.

oldawg and Brokor like this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. jefferson
  9. jefferson
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. toolbelt99
  14. ditch witch
  15. Dunerunner
  16. Ganado
  17. JC Refuge
  18. JC Refuge