1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

The Almost complete index of dehydrating.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by ammon, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ammon

ammon Monkey+

I would love the input of all those who have more experience than I, or who can suggest things that I have over looked.

I am making an index of all fruits and vegetables, and how they should be dehydrated. It has been started on my blog, but I would also like to copy the info here for all of the forum readers.

I have categories of:
    - Foods needing blanching
    - Foods needing steaming
    - Foods needing ascorbic acid or lemon juice
    - Foods needing no prep work

You can see the list I have started, but I feel it is still incomplete, and there are things I have over looked.

If you disagree with my methods outlined I would also like to know that, as many things have a few ways to be completed.

I also plan to include the temperature the different things should be dried at, and a ball park estimate of how long they should be dried for.

Once I feel I have a good foundation, I will make a thread on the forums, with the complete info and who knows, maybe it'll be made into a sticky for everyone's reference.

Thanks to all those who can help this move forward in a way that can be beneficial to the whole community.
  2. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey++

Thanks for a very informative blog. [applaud]

I'm really new to dehydrating, so I would suggest you put the time and temp next to the food for us newbies to get the best drying results.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary