The...... almost perfect home defense gun.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by chelloveck, Sep 22, 2011.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

gunbartender likes this.
  2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

That's neat. It shows what can be accomplished with a little scrap metal and ingenuity.

I would like to see it with a trigger other than a table, though.

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

i could have fun makin somethin like that :D

4. chelloveck

You could make a black powder pan flute with nipples up

And play it like an xylophone......play your own home defence 1812 Overture as a percussionist....it's better and more fun than a drum kit, and it's the kind of music that homie gangstas would prefer not to hear! ; )

5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

LOL! I always wanted to be a drummer in a band.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I hate to poke holes in the video narration, but that pole cannon with percussion caps of musket size ain't from the 1500's. Percussion caps are circa 1820 or so. Before that flintlocks. Before that matchlocks.[beat]

dragonfly and BTPost like this.
  7. chelloveck

Quite probably so.....

It's quite possible that the initial means of initiation was a slow match to the priming hole....percussion caps may have been a later innovation.

It probably doesn't make much difference I guess, so long as the thing works. It does serve a good purpose as inspiration for what might be improvised from basic materials if circumstances dictate, in places where gun ownership is frowned upon. ; )

I am rather amazed at what can be crafted to make serviceable firearms from very little, having browsed through the Youtube DIY library of gunsmithing.

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Bingo, however they aren't sure when..

"The copper percussion cap is not definitely alluded to in the patent records till 1823, but appears to have been invented about 1814-1816
    http://armscollectors.com/gunhistorydates.htm"

Many flintlocks were converted to percussion caps which must make the collectors scream bubba.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I'd rather have a 6 or 7 barrel contraption, made up of Remington 1100's assy's. Gas operated loading system...with or without a "drive" system, maybe a hand crank? I'm more of the Gatling gun systems for defense!
    Saw it done with a multiple barrel device with Ruger 10/22's once....
    But I like the idea of having MORE than a single projectile from any barrel...
    I'd like to see 00 Buck or 000 Buckshot used in a multi- barreled unit!
    ( ok, so i'm weird!)

10. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I would prefer 6 mini guns and enough ammo to feed them....oh, and an Abrams tank!

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I like it. Simple and it works. I would replace the percussion caps with electronic igniters and fire all three barrels at once. Loaded with buckshot and more powder. Anyone with a lathe could build short shotgun barrels and weld them together into a directional claymore loaded with 12 gauge shells. 4 barrel blocks with electronic igniters instead of primers.KF

BTPost likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Duckfoot pistol, anyone?

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just remember that doing the above, is constructing an ATF "Destructive Device" and you need an ATF Permit to do so, or you are committing a Federal Felony, for which your local US Attorney WILL prosecute. ...... YMMV....

14. chelloveck

I think that KF was just talking out aloud

about an "opinionated" style theoretical.....of course no law abiding citizen would actually construct one...while there are laws to be enforced and law enforcement agencies to enforce said laws.

15. teeter

teeter Monkey+

might as well play tiddlywinks, for all the help it would be in a defensive scenario,of course. Too slow to get pointed where it's needed, gotta run over to where it is, etc, prone to misfiring from absorbing moisture, all the typical problems of black powder.

16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

So Gunkid took this thread seriously....? Hehehe..... [loco]

17. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

As usual even the most basic thing eludes you. Go peddle your "advice" elsewhere. Oh, and don't forget your tactical wheelbarrow.
    10413-wheel-barrow-man-san-cristobal-mexico.

18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Hmmm... hard to sneak up on us crotchety old geezers with our useless .45's and shotguns, when the Tactical Wheelbarrow is bright red........ He won't get close enough to pop us with his silenced .22. [aiw]

Falcon15 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7