The Amateur Radio Parity Act S. 1685 has been endorsed by the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Scien

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by AD1, Nov 18, 2015.

1. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

From ARRL Today

http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-parity-act-passes-senate-committee-gains-cosponsors
    11/18/2015
    The Amateur Radio Parity Act S. 1685 has been endorsed by the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. In the voice vote on November 18, two Senators — Bill Nelson (D-FL) and Brian Schatz (D-HI) — asked to be recorded as voting “no.” The Committee held an executive session to consider the various legislative measures and nominations.

“Our work is not finished on the Senate side of Capitol Hill, although this is a huge step forward,” said ARRL President Kay Craigie, N3KN. She urged ARRL members to continue to write, call and e-mail their Senators about S. 1685 to build up its support for the future. “We know that members’ response to the call for a communications blast last week made all the difference for some Senators on the committee.”

S. 1685 picked up another Senate cosponsor on November 18, when Sen Jerry Moran (R-KS), who sits on the Commerce Committee, has signed aboard the bill. “ARRL members in Kansas should contact his office to say thanks,” President Craigie said. “Having an additional cosponsor who’s on the Committee is especially good news.”

On hand to observe the Committee mark-up session were ARRL Hudson Division Director Mike Lisenco, N2YBB, ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, and ARRL General Counsel Chris Imlay, W3KD.

President Craigie encouraged ARRL members in Florida and Hawaii to keep contacting Senators Schatz and Nelson, urging them to change their minds about the legislation. “Don't be harsh or angry,” she advised. “Keep it factual and courteous, and don't give up.”

On November 5, US Sen Al Franken (D-MN) signed on as the second cosponsor of S. 1685. That legislation and its US House twin, H.R. 1301, call on the FCC to extend the limited federal pre-emption of PRB-1 to cover private land-use restrictions such as deed covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CC&Rs). If the legislation becomes law, radio amateurs living in antenna-restricted communities would have the opportunity to negotiate with homeowners associations to install an antenna that reasonably accommodates Amateur Radio communication.

H.R. 1301 has 114 cosponsors as of November 18. President Craigie said ARRL members should continue to urge their Representatives to cosponsor H.R. 1301 and to thank those who already have

stg58 and BTPost like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

For the ham uninvolved readers --
    "The Amateur Radio Parity Act would require the FCC to amend its Part 97 Amateur Service rules to apply the three-part test of the PRB-1 federal pre-emption policy to include homeowners association regulations and deed restrictions, often referred to as "covenants, conditions, and restrictions" (CC&Rs). At present, PRB-1 only applies to state and local zoning laws and ordinances. The FCC has been reluctant to extend the same legal protections to include private land-use agreements without direction from Congress."
    The end result, it is hoped, will limit the amount of restrictions that may be placed on antennas (among other things) in residential units such as apartments, condos, and single family home developments. For more reading, here ya go - Amateur Radio Parity Act

BTPost likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I, for one, ENDORSE this application of PRB-1 to " CC&R Restrictions".

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

In theory, yes. But why adapt a regulation to adapt a regulation that has no business regulating in the first place? ;)
    Get rid of the CC&R Restrictions - end of story.
    ETA: My $0.02 only

5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Lib Sen Al Franken (D-MN) had some lame bits on TV and movies and the folks in Minnesota "elected" him after they found ballots in the trunk of a democrat election officials car during the recount I have never agreed with him.
    So it grinds on me to agree with with Stuart Smalley

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As a Extra Class Amateur, the only restriction I would support is your tower falls on your property and not my house. My reasoning is I try to be a good neighbor. As I would not appreciate your tower failing on my house; I figure you would have the same attitude as I do and deserve the same respect I expect.

techsar:
    A lot of HOAs and city or county regulations prohibit Amateur Radio towers. Between 1990 and 1992, I lived near Clarkston, Michigan. To get a permit to put up a tower for my LPY, I had to threaten the township with PRB-1 legal action.

hitchcock4 likes this.
  7. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

Thanks @AD1 and @ghrit for calling attention to this.

If you live in NORTH CAROLINA, Please read on and take action if needed. Apparently many letters in support of SB 1685 have been misinterpreted as letters of opposition! I received the following email recently.

Yesterday, I received a reply from Senator Burr regarding the letter I
    sent to him. In his letter, it was stated, "Please know that I will
    keep your opposition in mind should this legislation be considered by
    the full Senate." I called the Washington DC office of Senator Burr to
    alert him that the intent of my letter had been misinterpreted. I gave
    them my name and mailing address, and asked that they amend their
    records to show my support for S 1685 Amateur Radio Parity Act.

If you receive, or have received, a letter from Senator Burr indicating
    that you do NOT support S 1685, it would be appreciated greatly if you
    would contact Senator Burr, as well. His telephone number is (202)
    224-3154 and his FAX number is (202) 228-2981.

Please note that several Hams in NC have received phone calls from
    Senator Burr’s office acknowledging the error.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Sounds like either willful misinterpretation (by staff) of the support letters, or (more likely) under educated staff. You can bet the crop that Burr doesn't see most of the incoming messages.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I doubt they actually read them. I believe they have them scanned with some type of program that looks for words. Then we receive a canned answer.
    A while back, I sent one of mine an email stating if they voted for a certain bill; I would volunteer my time and contribute money to their opponent. I received a very nice email thanking me for my generous offers etc. I thought what the heck are you talking about.

Maybe the mileage of others will be different; however, that was my experience.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7