The ATF is gunning for your guns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DarkLight, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Shall not be infringed.....

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Maybe its time for us to do some Un Infringing!

4. 10brokenpromises

10brokenpromises Monkey++

I don't see how this doesn't escalate and turn bloody. My line's not moving anymore, it's not in the sand as it were. I hate what that is going to mean in the near and long term but something has to change and as the Moose has said recently, armed rebellion is not that far off.

I'm not excited for it, in fact it sickens me that it will come to this but I would rather it be in my time, with those of us willing to do what must be done. I don't think there are enough who get it in the next generation to pull it off later.

Yard Dart, SB21, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

To quote someone in the firearms industry from another forum:

"Most of the powder we consume in the US comes from 4 sources, St Marks in FL, New River Energetics in VA, Expro (General Dynamics) in Quebec, and ADI in NSW. Two of these major sources are domestic. Most of the powder used here is made here. The exceptions generally are Hodgdon's Hybrid powders and some of the flake pistol powders which are made by ADI, and most IMR type powders that are made by Expro. Most domestic production is in double base powders, both ball and flake.

Generally, I don't think any piece of this regulation affects anything in terms of smokeless powder. In bulk it's treated as an explosive, and it isn't until it gets to the retail packaging that it becomes a flammable solid. Even then, when transported in bulk, it's still class 1.3."

This are good reasons to stock up on ammo and reloading supplies, but this isn't it.

Ura-Ki and Oltymer like this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I guess magicians are going to be in big trouble...

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Sounds like it might impact some ammunition manufacturers until they get it all straightened out insofar as compliance to licensing, shipping, and storage.

Could cause another ammo shortage which could run for awhile - just when things were starting to return to normal, or at least the new normal.

When I was a kid I used to anguish over whether to pay 3c more for a box of 50 .22 Long Rifle rounds as opposed to the .22 shorts. Now I get whiplash looking at .22 prices.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Not to mention the fact that when I was a Lil' Shaver, my cousins and I would save our money and go in on large cans of powder, enough to keep us shooting all summer long! You cant even buy that quantity any more ( has been like this for years) now if you can find 8 pound cans, that's something! Course, ya have to fill out paperwork and all sorts of crap if you do buy larger amounts then one pound!

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well if they know chemistry and are feeling adventurous they can make their very own!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I do NOT know what State you are in, but here in Alaska, there is NO Paperwork for Purchase of ANY Smokeless Powders, in ANY Amount.... Yes, it is a "Hazardous Material" and ships ORM-D Freight, but other than that It isn't anything at all.... Now REAL Black Powder, is a whole Nother Ballgame.... It is a Class Primary Explosive, In any quantity over 10Lbs, and Requires a License & Magazine to possess... Last time I went to buy a 25 Lb Cask, the shipping costed more than the Powder, and I had to Fax my Baster License, before they would accept the order. That was BEFORE 9/11, and things have only gotten more complicated since then.... I bought a 1Lb can of Goex FFFG BP, this spring, and shipped it up, inside a Cardboard Box of Clothes, along with 8 Cases of Diet Dr Pepper, on the Barge. It came thru just fine... HOWEVER there was a "Shipping Tax" on the Diet Dr. Pepper, of three Cans... The Conex Loading Crew must have been thirsty, the day they loaded that Conex....

Ganado and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No paper for smokeless here in PA either. Now paper with abes and other dead prezzies on it is a different problem.

techsar and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I could use a pallet or two of those ;)

ETA...ah heck, just make it a connex box full...

Ura-Ki and ghrit like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

By the time they are done with "quantatative easing" you might need that for a loaf of bread.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Ura-Ki, Oltymer and VisuTrac like this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nah...fire place. We make our own bread ;)

But (getting back to the OP) it seems like the major impact will be for manufacturers, who will pass along the added costs. Leads to "get it now if you want it."

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

But then if you use it in your show you can get busted for non-standard pyrotechnics... as well as ATF busting you for making explosives, and having bomb making materials...

Kind of wish they really knew what they were talking about there is a difference between detonating and deflagrating....

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

hmm, I think they'd have to have evidence .. and it went up in a flash ..

Witch Doctor 01 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

So, the feds had to backtrack on this, the industry standards ( for the last 70 years) have proven to be adequate for the safety concerns that this was "supposed" to address! The real question, what's Ol Obummers next trick! The hand writing is on the wall, with him issuing new exc orders left and right, it's only a matter of time before he slips us the BIG PICKLE and wipes out the 2nd completely! I knew this was a B.S. move, hell, this is how I store Black Powder in any quantity that I am not going to use immediately! It's inert with it like that until you dry it out under a vacuum, then it's ready to rock!

Bandit99 likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yes, The ATF got called on this issue, and their "FACTS" were NOT supported by the Science, or the Practical Experience.... Like so many of their OTHER Pronouncements in the past.... As one who DOES understand the Chemistry, and has extensive, albeit ancient Practical Experience in this specific Area, they GOT IT WRONG....

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

OOPS missed this my bad please ignore my other post...

20. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

to old to run so my line is drawn into mother earth. I will protect my family for as long as i draw breath MOLON LABE

Ura-Ki and GOG like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. duane
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Matei
  8. OldDude49
  9. oil pan 4
  10. Oddcaliber
  11. Yard Dart