The Backup is Back up

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by E.L., Dec 17, 2007.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I don't know about all of that, I am just telling you about my experience with them.

I am the same way, my pop's speech that he used to tell his customers in his cryogenics business was "when you buy the best, you only cry once." I like to have tried the models out before I buy them, that is what makes having gun dealers and friends with a gun hobby so nice. I get to shoot their stuff before I invest in it. Speaking of (thread hijack coming) this weekend I met this fellow that shoots benchrest in national and international meets. He shoots a Sharps. A $3600 Sharps at long range, and he loads every round. He let me hold his rifle, and thrilled me with tales of shooting with Heston (pre-Alzh.) and Hank II at matches (by the way he says that both were pretty good shots. Hank is a pretty good shot, at least for the first two days of the match, after that Hank has a had a little too much fun). He showed me groups at various ranges, and told me that he could have me hitting a coke can with open sites at 300 yards very consistently. I believed him, but at this time I cannot afford another expensive hobby. While I would love to play Matthew Quigley, I am too busy working and playing Dad. It does sound like a lot of fun though.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What he said, the 380 is looking like a way to go for me, especially the clip widget. 380 is just larger and has a bit more umph. Thus figures me, it has a bit more ability to capture a BG's interest in slowing down or stopping bad intentions.

3. ghrit

The Kel-Tec P3AT is drawing some interest chez moi, too. I like the idea of the clip and small size, beats the shoulder carry Ruger GP100 all to hell. There are some limited ballistics data comparing the two on the Kel-Tec website.

4. E.L.

Glad to be of service......:D I have to tell you, that with all of my .45's my Keltec is the gun I carry the most. It is just too easy to slip it into my pocket with not having to worry about holsters, belts, printing, covering garments, etc.

The pocket clip is a must have in my book. As for the .32/.380 debate, I would probably go with the .380 if I was going to buy a brand new one. I have friends with both. My barber who is an active LEO sold his .32 and bought a .380, and he swears it is not as accurate as his .32. He is looking for another .32 now. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the .380 as I am not going to be shooting it at a target 50 yds. away, as my barber just might be doing. Now my buddy that is a gun dealer and cop loves his .380 and never leaves home without it. When I bought my .32 I could not find a .380 anywhere. Now that I see one every now and then I will pick up one before too long. I am a believer is that sometimes bigger is better.
    mouse guns (Medium).

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Great pic for reference. I was wondering how it was compared to the NAA. Hmmm, .32 or .380? For the price I might just get both!!
    Give one to the wife.

6. E.L.

That's my thought, as soon as my wife gets her CHL I am going to buy a .380 and have her try both. The one she is the most comfortable shooting with is the one she will carry. She may have a 9mm/.40/.45 in her purse, but you can be assured that she will have a Kel-Tec in her pocket. It's the go everywhere gun.

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

If you use the left thumb cocking and holding technique I talked about you can get off additional aimed shots at a rate of one per second, I know nothing close to an autos rate of fire. Yes, 10 yard shots are pushing it but 5 chest shots at that range are doable. I bought my NAA for the same reason you did, boys and their toys first, and then something for protection.

Are any of you guys considering the P-11 9mm? Same configuration as the 32 and 380 with more horsepower and a little extra size and weight, yet still fits in your front pocket. The same accessories (side clip, mag extension and trigger shoe) are available for it. The only caution I have is that the recoil is not for the faint of heart, so you may want to test fire one or another light weight mini 9 with heavy loads before buying if in doubt.

8. E.L.

The only other gun from Kel-Tec that I have considered is the slim line 9mm. It is a just a little too big to fit inside of the front pockets of my pants, and slacks as I tried it out. It could be used with the pocket clip in my back pocket, but I don't think it would be quite as concealeable. I would also wait until I have a chance to send more than a few rounds down range with one, sooner or late a buddy will have one and I will get to run it at the range and decide if it is in my best interest. If I need a holster, if it prints, or is too big to get out of my pocket quick then forget it, I will just carry one of my XD's or 1911's.

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Personaly I would go for the .380. Its size and balistics are VERY similar to a .38 spl from the reloading data I have looked at on weights and speeds of various loads for each and I really like to stay with something in that range or stronger for defensive use, also .380 is easier to get deffensive rounds for at least in the stores I have been in.

10. E.L.

Minuteman, I ordered a new Kel-Tec P3AT (.380). I was at my dealers on Friday, and while I was there he got a call from his distributor asking if he needed any, so he asked me, I said yes, I want one, then he ordered three. Will be in next week. Conveniently, when I got home my wife asked me what I wanted for my upcoming birthday next week. I told her I had already taken care of that and ordered something. She gave me "that look" and I said, don't worry, it's a cheap one. $260. Then I got the "okay good, saves me having to shop for you look". After I pick it up I am going to have to run a few rounds through it. If I don't forget to bring my camera to the range I will bring back some pics, and maybe some groupings as well. Lots of times on the little guns I like to shoot thin steel plate. Don't ask me why, I just like the "ping, ping, ping" that I hear since the holes are so tiny in the paper targets.

11. Minuteman

Cool. Let me know how you like it. I had my .32 out the other day and ran some rounds through it. I was way impressed. An accurate little sucker and those hollow points were making some nice holes in a sheet of plywood.

I am going to order that PF-9. I need a compact 9 for my daughter when she goes to the gate to take out the trash. (That's my excuse anyway!)

Here's a .32 that I have my eye on. Trying to tell myself that I really do NEED it. Chech VZ-61 Scorpion
    scorpian 2.

12. E.L.

Nice Scorpion. The sub-sub gun.

13. E.L.

If you come through again I will let you try it out for yourself. My range is only about 15 minutes away.

14. Minuteman

Semi Auto version.
    $699 from Atlantic Arms
    Can't think of any use for it except to have fun!!

15. ghrit

And just how is that a bad thing? Nobody said you have to shoot only your primary carry piece -- :shock: [beer]

16. sapper112

sapper112 Monkey++

i carry a S&W 640 Centennial religiously as a backup at work and off duty...its great; and relatively light, and snag free since the hammer is totally encased. However on hot summer days in shorts and a t shirt i pull out the Kel-Tec p-32 , .32 auto, i added the extended mag for +1 round and cuz i hate to have my pinky hang off the end of any gun the kel tec as yet to fail me in practice i am glad i purchased it! my partner at work has a kel tec in .380 and he sings its praises also

17. Minuteman

Whenever my wife accompanies me to a gun shop or show she invariably sees some gun that she thinks is "pretty". I tease her about it. I tell her "you don't buy a gun because it's pretty, you buy for how it functions and what it does."

Well I can't do that anymore. We were at the Tulsa gun show last weekend. I was mainly looking for accessories and ammo. The only gun I had thought about buying was maybe a Kel-Tec PF9. I looked at a couple but the price wasn't right. I was walking by a table and saw a pistol laying there that just caught my eye. A Bersa .380.

I had no need for it, had never considered buying one, had even seen one before, but Damn that was a pretty gun.
    So I ended up taking it home. Just because I liked the looks of it. Of course the black gold appealed to the oilman in me.

But I am very happy with it. I had a chance to run some rounds through it the other day. It is a nice shooter. And pretty good accuracy. And it is pretty!!
    Bersa. Bersa .380.

18. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup I have one (...eeerr at present the Mrs has it for her carry gun but was mine first lol) in the duotone and they are absolutely awesome and totaly reliable. I run hydroshocks in it and thats what I put down the last hog with, went through the forehead and brain and about 6" into the neck.

I liked mine so well my next purchase was one of their 9mms and the .380 is even well under $300 and closer to $200 NIB.

19. E.L.

[grlft]:rolleyes:[haay]

Sorry, I had to.

I have to admit, there is this shiny polished stainless Para .45 that I saw a while back that I am thinking about buying because......well it would make a really good Bar-B-Que gun. (Not to mention it is a 1911 .45 and a man's gun.)

20. Minuteman

[alllies] I guess if I switch my support of GOA to the Pink Pistols then I may have a problem!!!

Or I could buy that gold plated AK I saw on GB, buy some baggy pants and start listening to rap music.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7