The Beer Tent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clyde, Sep 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Boys and their beer [​IMG]

chelloveck, Yard Dart and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Something with Easter Dinner....
    Sierra Nevada Otra Vez - It is a Gose Style Ale made with Cactus and Grapfruit.

It has a slight sourness, but is light and palate cleansing. The beer has a mild acidity with some citrus fruit notes. It paired well with the Honey and Brown Sugar glazed Ham......

I really hate photobucket.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Ganado likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Dunerunner likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sailor Jerry Rum..... Happy Friday!!!

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. Dunerunner

I thought tonight I would do a comparison of a newly produced Fresh Hop IPA and one a year old, so here we go.

I chose Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA because it happened to be one that I had a single bottle of 2014 and a newly purchased 2015.
    [​IMG]

Each poured with the same color, both stored at the same temperature, but the 2014 had less head retention than the 2015.

[​IMG]

Both were poured straight down the middle of the glass. The 2014 had little noticeable hop note in the nose but noticeable bitterness in taste. It had, in my estimation, lost some of the hop profile over the year but was still quite drinkable.

The 2015 exhibited a nice fresh hop note in aroma, and a pleasant bitterness in taste. Both IPAs had sufficient malt support for the hops.

This experiment confirmed for me that IPAs are intended to be consumed as fresh as possible in order to retain the hop profile intended by the brewer. BTW, they were great blended together and consumed with a breaded loin pork chop, rice and green beans. :D

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  6. Dunerunner

OK, for you East Coasters. From Dark Horse Brewing in Marshall, Mi.....

A 2013 Plead the 5th Imperial Stout....

This beer is 11% ABV, pours syrup like and black from the bottle. It produces a slight rocky head that quickly dissipates. There are dominate aromas of roast malts and dark grains with subtle hints of tanned leather and dark chocolate. Flavors are definitely dark Dutch chocolate up front, dried dates and raisins in the finish. The mouth feel is thick and sticky which coats the tongue and lingers long after the roasty goodness of the sip is gone.

If you can find it, it is highly recommended...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2010 and prior: white label
    2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
    2012: black label with logo cap
    2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning
    2014 - white label with black logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner, government warning on bottom right side of label

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Yard Dart likes this.
  7. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

To All:

Thanks to Dunerunner for picking up the reins and adding some hops to this thread. If anyone else is interested and participating as a beer lover & reviewer, please let me know.
    Clyde

8. Dunerunner

Going to attempt to do, at a minimum; a review per month, so stay tuned....

Yard Dart, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Wow.... I found a 22oz. 2012 bottle of Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA stuffed behind some boxes in the brew shed and decided to give it a try. IPA's, generally; do not lay up well but this was a genuine surprise.

It produced a frothy white head that dissipated to a lacing ring at contact with the glass throughout consumption. Hazy peach in color, with an earthy hop aroma, I couldn't wait to taste it.

Instantly, I got vanilla and caramel and then the hops. The mild bitterness grew as the beer warmed through the taste and the carbonation continued to produce that foamy head with just a swirl.

Although different than a fresh bottle, this was very enjoyable.....

[​IMG]

10. Dunerunner

Ok, this is somewhat a favorite brewery of mine with limited State wide distribution...

This is a specialty ale, one that is brewed occasionally or as a special treat for Oregon Beer Lovers. It is from Pelical Brewing in Pacific City (the Pub Brewery), their commercial brewery is in Tillmook. It is called Umbrella, an IPA seasoned nicely with Ella hops to 60 IBU (International Bittering Units). Somewhat low for bittering in an IPA, but not with this hop. On first whiff, you get the hops are there, but; after the sip you know it. Somewhat flowery and plenty of residual sweetness even thought it is 7.4 ABV. It produces a vigorous head poured straight down the center of a pint glass, is light straw and slightly cloudy in appearance and the head laces the glass as the brew is consumed from it. This IPA is Dry Hopped twice and is a single hop brew. Only the Australian Ella hops are used exclusively in brewing.
    [​IMG]

11. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

My favorite is Imperial Stout, no particular brewery as they are all good, black as sin and kicks your head around. Expensive, even if you brew it yourself, so I only imbibe IS during the few weeks around winter solstice - Christmas.

I brew a black ale-stout I call Homesteader Black Ale, this is my house beer for the rest of the year, except a few six packs of 1554 during summer when it's too hot to brew. I like brewing dark beers as I don't have to fret with all the clarifying of a lighter colored beer.The grain bill for the HBA is;
    3 lbs. dark DME
    1 lb. sugar
    1/2 lb. chocolate malted barley
    1/2 lb. crystal malted barley
    1/2 - 1 lb. oatmeal as an adjunct
    sometimes add rice or potatoes as an adjunct also
    1 oz. Cascade hops pellets
    1 pkg. Muntons regular yeast - dry (works well from about 45 - 85 degrees from my own experiences)
    about 7 gal. of water from the spring.

Don't have a hydrometer right now (broke it in a tipsy moment a couple of years ago) so don't know SG or ABV but it's just right for me, and this makes 5 gal. of homebrew for around $20, if I were to buy everything on the list.

I bottle after 7 - 10 days of fermentation in 2 liter plastic bottles using the original caps, don't need to clean all those little bottles which I hate doing, only 7 -8 of these 2 liter bottles are needed and they are easy to clean, then store them in a cooler out of sunlight so it doesn't skunk for a couple of weeks to age before I enjoy them. It is really great beer in about a month. I try to brew once a month except when it's just too hot to mess with.

I wash my yeast, and save it from batch to batch, so saving money there , also started my own Cascade hops plants with 3 rhizomes this spring, 1 survived, and looks like I won't be buying any hops next year because I'll be using my own from the garden. Been messing with growing my own 2 row barley, first crop was not too successful, planted too late, so will be trying again this autumn. When I get it all going right, my beer will be free, as I'll be brewing all grain, 004.JPG except for my time and energy that I put into it. Pic of my homebrew in a frosted mug, Cheers!!!

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  12. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Beer thread...................oh no way I can stay right here.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Dunerunner likes this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Clyde.....love your avatar... !!!

[​IMG]

Salted Weapon likes this.
  14. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Beer is my master, beer is my friend. !!
    So thats over and over until its true.
    We have allot of beer here in Douglas County I will post a few locals next week.

15. Dunerunner

Sierra Nevada SummerFest Crisp Lager
    This should be available nation wide, or at least where Sierra Nevada has distribution. It is a Lager brewed in the Czech style, golden color with an airy white head; this beer will turn any Bubbaweiser drinker into a craft drinker in a heartbeat. Slight sweetness gives way to a nice hop finish, prompting you to take another sip. $16 a 12 pack here....

Recommended...

[​IMG]

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. Clyde

Thanks. I took it out of my airplane window on a south flying flight at 5:30 am PST.

17. Clyde

Special thanks to Dunerunner for picking up with the thread where I left off and a welcome to salted weapon who will be chiming in and posting additional reviews from the PNW.

Any east coast beer drinkers who would like to assist, please let me know. Nothing better on a trip than seeing a beer you read about and having a little knowledge of it.

18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Stealth bottle opener
    [​IMG]

19. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Hi Guys sorry for the late start getting to the posts here.
    At Old 99 Brewing Co. 3750 Hooker Rd. Ste A, Roseburg, OR.
    Its right off Highway 5 in Roseburg, the area has many wineries, stills and breweries is one the reasons wanted to get involved in this thread. In the upcoming weeks I hope to pick a brew from a local and do short reviews should be fun posting and umm testing[beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer][beer]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Altoidfishfins
  7. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Oct 23, 2018, 23 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Witch Doctor 01
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. AxesAreBetter
  15. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  16. chelloveck
  17. 3M-TA3
  18. Yard Dart
  19. OldDude49
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7