Original Work The Bug Out - A short story

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Halffast, Dec 22, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

The Bug Out converted to a pdf in first post.

2. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I just read this,great story..Made me think a lot.If just a few things had been done differently they might have gotten out okay.If the BO bags were ready,if the vehicles had full gas tanks,if the food preps had still been there,if they hadn't wasted time getting goodies together,goodies that should have been there,they'd have made it.This should be required reading for all who are planning to BO and a warning to all of us to have our ducks lined up and ready.A big tip o' the hat to the author..

3. catfish1971

catfish1971 Monkey+

Good story, but sad ending, I was hoping they would make it

4. jaredbelch

jaredbelch Monkey+

Very interesting way to look at a failed bug out attempt.

5. Tycer

Tycer Monkey+

I'll take that one to the grave. Great story how not to do it.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I keep hoping David will do some more short stories. His descriptive writing is as good as Hemingway in my mind's eye,

7. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

Great story, sad ending. I was dreading the ending when I saw that I only had 2 pages left...

8. Benaj

Benaj Monkey+

Good story but sad ending!

9. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Really sad story. Glad it is fiction. Makes buggin in seem like a pretty good alternative. Keep preppin folks and let none us be Joe or his family.

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

His stories inspire people to re-evaluate their situation. There is no way to know how many lives he may have saved when SHTF.

11. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No doubt. "Lights Out" made me change a few priorities.

12. D Strokes

D Strokes Monkey+

Great story David!

Btw, I recently ordered 2 copies of Lights Out (1 signed) and I am enjoying the hell out of it (again)!

Good luck on future novels!

13. Dawg-fan-in-TN

Dawg-fan-in-TN Monkey+

Great story. Even with their many snafus trying to get out of the house I had high hopes for them making it out safe.
    Makes me glad that I live out in the country and won't have to fight the rush to get out of a city.

14. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

Enjoyed the read. I am also glad I live in a low population zone.

15. azsurvivor

azsurvivor Monkey+

This is an excellent story, I previously read it and just re-read it. What makes it so good is that it also includes a realistic/dark side of a bugout situation

16. Jim Jump

Jim Jump Monkey+

Thanks Halffast. You really got me thinking. I'm Joe without the unhappy scenario. I was meaning to - just never really found the time.... Starting today I'll find the time. There goes my other new years resolutions.....Jim

17. Halffast

Halffast Wannabe Hack Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Jim,

To some degree, we're all Joe. If this story helps you to be a little less of a Joe, then it has done its job. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind comments.

David

Zimmy and Brokor like this.
  18. bugout

bugout Monkey+

it's a great read.
    But what I'd be interested to know is what would he leave behind if he could do it all over again? What to sacrifice for expedience in that kind of situation?

19. bassic

bassic Monkey+

The wife, perhaps? ;-)

20. bassic

bassic Monkey+

I just finished Lights Out, and have been past the real Silver Hills in Boerne...that book played like a movie in my mind. Excellent writing, should be made into a movie!

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. DarkLight
  9. Fatum1965
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Motomom34
  12. ED GEiN
  13. yeti695
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Motomom34
  16. Imasham
  17. Brokor
  18. Motomom34
  19. TailorMadeHell