Original Work The Bug Out - A short story

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Halffast, Dec 22, 2005.

1. barfife

barfife Monkey+

Really enjoyed your story. Thanks for posting it.

2. excalibur610

excalibur610 Monkey+

Great story. Really like your writing style. Didn't like the way it ended because it was too close to home. But any other ending wouldn't have been as powerful. Also thinking I'm part of the 99.9% who didn't get that advanced notice.

3. homesteadma

homesteadma Monkey

Just read "The Bug out" ...wow. Sure made me think. Thank you, for posting this.

4. It was an intense story with a sad ending but it makes you think what happens if you make mistakes.

5. sfrd39

sfrd39 Monkey

good one. enjoyed it

6. FTHarvey

FTHarvey Defend the Bedrock

Very well written.

7. Finster

Finster Simplify, I'd say more but this says it all.

One of the most realistic/like scenarios I have ever read. Unfortunately. Judging based on the recent events of Newtown, Boston marathon and a few other incidents, the GOBernment will lockdown the highways much faster, tell us less and be immediately "more hostile" towards anyone moving away from the cities, especially if they have weapons and or unusual cargo.

But how can we realistically be prepared to bug-out, even if all adult members of a household are in the proper mindset (not my house, its me alone to prep and be ridiculed) being ready and making the decision, and actually putting a plan in place, and then executing that plan is the only way.

8. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Good story! Puts things into perspective

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Good read, LOTS of lessons in there. There but for the grace of God go I...

In a previous life I was married to someone just like the wife in the story. For YEARS I prepped. I was an admins on a large survival site. Made sure that "my Girls" lacked for nothing. Begged,pleaded,guilt tripped, bribed my family to see the logic and get on board. Didn't happen. Went through the whole gamit of being laughed at to open hostility over my way of life. Along came a blizzard that dumped 6 feet plus of snow. We were the ONLY house as far as you could see that had power/heat. Then I was "da man" for about a month... Long story short, the marriage eventually ended for a number of reasons, the above only one of many. I started over with almost nothing. Built it all back up-still building. The Lady that is now my wife and best friend has always been on board with this life style,and for that I'm grateful. For those that are single and committed to a survivalist lifestyle, I would strongly advise you to seek out a companion that is like minded. It WILL save you a lot of heartache later on. JMT's

beemerphill, Ganado, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  10. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Good advice @Tully Mars my gf who im looking for a house to move into with is not on board. I tryed to get her to read this too

11. Finster

Tedrow42,

Im no expert clearly but IMO just layout the new house rules... She can be on-board or be someone else's problem. That is the approach for my next ex-wife :-o

tedrow42 likes this.
  12. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Lol she doesnt tell me what i can do she rolles he eyes she said shes cool with the homestead type of property im going to build. We had it out last nigh so she knows i dont have a.problem telling her get out. But thank you for the advice i will keep it in mine

Finster likes this.
  13. Finster

I'm glad for you and good luck with her. If shes ok with a homestead, then shes probably more ok with the whole thing than you think and will come around as soon as the shit hits the fan, so any day now.

tedrow42 likes this.
  14. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

A very possible reality.

Thanks for the great read.

Zimmy and john316 like this.
  15. PoppaJ

PoppaJ Monkey

Interesting read. Makes me want to double check myself and make sure the wife reads it also.Sad ending but not having your stuff together has consequences you'll probably not like.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. DarkLight
  9. Fatum1965
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Motomom34
  12. ED GEiN
  13. yeti695
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Motomom34
  16. Imasham
  17. Brokor
  18. Motomom34
  19. TailorMadeHell