The coming .22 tsunami

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oltymer, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I get irritated when I can't find .22LR.....so I just buy a bunch 5.56 to help myself feel better. :)

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This is good news.
    Happiness is a warm gun.
    2017 should be a happy year.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

22LR around here is like hen's teeth. I know it comes in but it's being bought by the case by throngs of peeps waiting for it to be removed from the pallet.

I've skipped the whole drive from big box to big box hoping to get some off the shipment. I order it online in reasonable quantities.

I've resolved that if it's less than 10 cents per round for CCI Mini-mags. I'll buy a few boxes.

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Thanks, Legion! This image is off the net, but mine is just as nice. Got it at a tiny little, local GS.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have all the ammo I could ever need, but it doesn't mean it's right to not find the most common ammo ever made in bulk locally. It's nice to replenish the stocks so we don't go into a deficit...inventory management so to speak. :lol:

Online works if you don't have neighborhood thieves and a postmaster who is on meth.

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Other than the local WallyWorlds .22lr is pretty easy to find now. All the sports shops have it in stock. Last I bought I think I gave 20 bux per 300 Mini Mags. Like @Brokor mentioned, I have plenty of ammo, but I do believe in rotating my stock. Now that the price is coming down not only is it easier to do, it allows for more practice with sub cal devices.

7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Nothing around here but match ammo. The old farts stake out the stores and buy it up as soon as some comes in.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I don't do the big box stores, and my local shops are a little slower in getting shipments in, but the Match ammo is what I roll any way, so I have had few problems keeping my stocks up! Now if I could find a more consistent supply of good yet not so expensive 6.5X55 Swede so that I can build up my supply of re-loadable brass, instead of chopping up perfectly good .30/06 brass, all will be well in the world then! Right now the pickins are sorta slim!

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Umm, define "Old farts":whistle:

oldawg, Sapper John and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. VisuTrac

my 3 LGS still have their 22LR priced like it was just before the 2012 election.
    They lost not only my ammo but firearm purchases as well.

As previously mentioned, glad to have the internet and an .Inc with associated credit card.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Never purchased ammo, firearms, nor parts.....off the Internet, ever. I prefer to do all my purchases FTF and in cash.....yes, my tinfoil might be wrapped too tight.....oh well. I is who I is..... ;)

12. VisuTrac

Nah, tinfoil isn't too tight.
    ATF already knows who I am. Having held a FFL 03, they know all about me. So too late to go grey.
    Plenty of 4473's and in Michigan all pistols have to be registered with the state police.

Even looking at starting a evening/weekend gunsmithing operation which will entail finger prints, more fed paperwork.

Yep, I am on a list for sure.

13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Ya know, old like me but retired with lots of time. Like the former customer of mine who scarfs ammo for guns he does not even own. No idea why.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

In my old AO the Walmart has not had 22lr since Dec of 2012, The even have these nice yellow and black laminated signs NO 22LR. In my new AO Walmart has had a good amount on the shelves any time I looked. The 2 places are only 45 miles apart.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I suspect that may be a manager refusing to order 22lr ?

Tully Mars likes this.
  16. VisuTrac

I ventured into my local BigBox yesterday to start and end my Christmas shopping.
    Plenty of .22LR on the shelf.
    Choices of:
    50rd boxes for the low low price of 7.99 for GECO Bolt-Rifle optimized
    50rd boxes of Eley Match for 17.99.

Looked like a case of each. I'm predicting that they will still have those boxes sitting on the shelf .. next Christmas.

But, at least they have some 22 and it's the first I've seen on their shelf in over a year.

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I told some friends about the 22lr tsunami. They don't think it will happen.
    They think that the economy will improve and people will by even more ammo.

Ura-Ki and Tempstar like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I'm not so much worried about .22 as .17 HMR. Haven't seen any on the shelves for some time now.

19. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Just watching this thread shows a lot of us are anxious to get 22LR at a regular price (rather than scalper prices). To me, there's still a huge pent-up demand that will only go away when the manufacturers increase production. Maybe some of those boys making a living scalping 22LR will get real jobs and let the rest have some!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

my local Dunham's has had .17 every time I go in.....I don't shoot .17 never had a need for it....Cabela's in Charleston, WV has had .22 of about every variety for last 6 months....22 Magnum is what I don't see very often....I stocked up on .22 when the Muslim got elected in 2008 when it was cheap and plentiful and got more than I would probably ever use....

Caveman Jim and Ura-Ki like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. natshare
  3. duane
  4. OldDude49
  5. oil pan 4
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. deMolay
  8. Grandpa Patch
  9. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold