The coming .22 tsunami

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oltymer, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

All you could want at Gander Mtn. in Myrtle Beach.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Cabelas was finally stocked up on .22 and every thing else, it's almost like the 90's again! I admit, I went nuts and bought a sh!t ton of ammo this time, better get while the gettin is good! Un like you guys, I only retired in 08, so I didn't get to stock up very much before ( Over seas most of my time) the prices went north, then the Sandy Hook thing came and the ammo dried up over night! Not going to say how much I spent on ammo, but I finally have more then enough in all the flavors I need, which is actually just less then where I need to be to feel safe with my horde! .308 ammo was the real deal this time round, and .338 L.M. has dropped to less then $4 a round for factory stuff, 5.56 was less then .38 cents a round too, so I bought 4 cases of really hard to get M262! The one that has yet to drop is 5.7X28, and I see pistol ammo is still high in my AO, but a box of .45 is finally just under $20!!!!! Will stop back in at the end of the month and grab more of the harder to find stuff, like .375 H&H and .375 Weatherby Mag! They had the Norma PH stuff, but it's still almost $5 a round!!! That one I just need more brass for, I'm not payin north of $4 a round when I can load it for less then $2! Have my eyes on a couple of long guns and now that the prices are dropping I need to do it while I can!

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  3. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

If they still have it ? Target Sports USA has 338 Lapua in two different bullets for $44 and $45 for a box of 20 and it's Lapua brass.....GREAT deal....Barnes Tracking point......

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I was happy to pay 19.99 for 500 round bricks. I bought 20,000 rounds at that price. Also bought another 5000 rounds of high quality CCI . If I see those prices again Ill shoot up a bunch of the old stuff and buy new. Could use a good week at the range.

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Still no 22LR or 22mag at Walmart here.
    The gun shops selling it for $50 a brick have plenty.

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

50 is 2 and one half times what I paid. Ill wait as I dont really need any.

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Still scarce as hens teeth here, occasionally there are a few boxes but most are bought up within a few hours even at high prices. People are still hoarding..

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am getting offers for .22LR for $.06 - .08/round... CCI, Remington, and Federal.... with $9.95 for shipping if under 25#...

Tully Mars likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Academy has lifted the limit here.

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I treat .22 ammo like a dollar cost averaging investment. I always buy a little more .22 ammo than I shoot. When there were no cheap bulk boxes I bought match ammo that was available. This has gotten me through all the ups and downs and increased the quality, as well as the quantity of my .22 ammo on hand. The thought of how much any of the .22 that I shoot might have cost has never really crossed my mind...except maybe Tenex.

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I've been hitting a few of the farm/ranch stores recently. The shelves are full. Probably saw a total of 15K sitting on the shelf (geco, armscor, agulia, Winchester)
    surprisingly I've been getting .22lr from 0.07 to 0.10.
    And maybe my first 1911 but in a proper caliber (.45acp)

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Walmart here is just starting to keep rim fire on the shelves. It's 17HMR and 22mag not 22lr, but it's a start.

13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Walmart in Arlington WA has had it for a while , small amounts 7c / Canada Wally world always had it & so did crappy tire 7c/ also

Tully Mars likes this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Haven't seen a tsunami of .22, but it is a bit more available than during the ammo drought. The one that is still rough to find is .22 short CB, but that pops up from time to time (like once every six months ;) )

For lr 5 - 7 cents per round is about average (save for target grade)

15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Cant find it at the local walmart but Bi Mart had 3 flavors of bulk priced between the old price and peak, it thin it was 40 to 400 rounds. there was no limit and several thousand rounds on the shelf

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The regional version of tractor supply here (it's like tractor supply but with an FFL) has had most rim fire in the shelves for almost a year now. And their prices are not that bad. Maybe 5% more than Walmart but no where near the 20% to 50% higher than Walmart prices the gun shops tend to charge.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Best Wholesale Price I have seen for 22LR is 4.5 Cents a round in 1000 Rd Cases...

18. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Academy in Central Texas has plenty of rimfire now. .22 Mag was non existent, but is now here but is now available but a little expensive compared to .17 HMR. They even have Win. Super X, but not in HP, just lead RN. No Win. Expediter though which is my favorite for small game hunting.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well the Walmart here has 22lr as a regular item now.
    I guess the 22lr hoarders lost interest, or lost their job or lost their clients willing to pay insane prices for 22lr are getting it done where else.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

During the scarcity, I bought when I could find it, some locally but mostly online. Now, I have well in excess of 10,000 rounds of .22LR, and a fair amount of .22WMR and .17HMR. More than I will shoot in my life. Health problems have cut back my recreational shooting.
    During the shortage, I also stocked some air rifles and pistols and their ammo, and black powder revolvers.
    "Expanding my portfolio", as the investment squirrels would say. And I can shoot the air guns in my home. (Yes, I am single!")
    But I do love my rimfires. My preferred brands/types aren't always available, anywhere. So, I have bought brands I wouldn't get before the shortage.

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. natshare
  3. duane
  4. OldDude49
  5. oil pan 4
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. deMolay
  8. Grandpa Patch
  9. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]