The Community Chicken Project

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by GrandpaDave, Dec 7, 2011.

1. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

If chickens are you thing... or your wanting chickens but don't know what where or how... Maybe you just want to learn more...this is the web site for you
    CommunityChickens.com - How to Raise Chickens - From Grit and Mother Earth News

The The Community Chicken Project was put together by Mother Earth News, sister publication, Grit, and of course members like you and me...

Getting Started with Backyard Poultry

well what are you waiting for, not chicken are ya??

Shotgunpapa, arleigh and tacmotusn like this.
  2. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Thx Dave. I've had chickens in the past and have recently been thinking about getting back into it. City ordinance prohibits them here locally, but being that I have a very large backyard fully blocked from view by trees I am thinking about attempting to get away with a few.

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

used to have 60,000 of the stupid gits...as a former commercial poultry producer can't say i miss them.... may build a tractor and raise a few for the home place but i don't miss the commercial end of them,...

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

chickens and guineas are the best pesticide for the garden, and around the house.

5. beast

beast backwoodsman

in town try banties
    they take less space and some varieties lay a larger egg
    you can keep them in large bird cages and call them pets

chelloveck likes this.
  6. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I love chicken!Tastes just like cat.
    Matt

Alpha Dog likes this.
  7. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

chelloveck likes this.
  8. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

You might also want to look into peacocks...
    Nothing comes onto my property without those peacocks doing that very loud warning call... quicker to react to an intruder than the dogs... sometings I think thos birds shame my dogs into getting off the front porch

chelloveck likes this.
  9. ISplatU

ISplatU Monkey+

Well, I just butchered, and cleaned my first chicken today. He now sits in the refridgerator. We live in a subdivision, but have built a chicken tractor. However, we have now 6 chickens in a tractor that is made for 4 to 5 chickens. Maybe I would butcher one more, but my daughter will not let me.
    If you would like to see our setup my wife blogs about it on My Hauser Homestead

P.S. Does anyone know how to get the smell off my hands?

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Octagon soap works pretty well ,if ya can find it.

11. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I've always found vinegar good for just about most hand odours. But then of course, you have to find a way to get rid of the vinegar smell, haha. It's a good time to eat English-style fish and chips, they go together with the vinegar, lol.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We just wash our hands and the smell will wear off. [dunno]

BWM

chelloveck likes this.
  13. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

You might try some lemon or orange. Fast Orange cleaner with the pumice will take the raw poultry smell off your hands when cooking. It might work after butchering.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Not long ago I wrote up a peice on how to make Vinegar at home...
    go check it out
    https://sites.google.com/site/grandpassurvivalshack/viniger

chelloveck likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You might not like it, but using the latex gloves pays off. Harbor freight has them cheap. cheap cheap

Shotgunpapa likes this.
  16. Shotgunpapa

Shotgunpapa Monkey

I'm thinking of getting me some chickens the folks next door have 3 and they get plenty of eggs for them self's just me and my wife so 4 or so would be plenty for us I think.

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 12, 2024 at 20:49, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Media

KFC

Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Yard Dart
  17. TnAndy
  18. Motomom34
  19. Yard Dart
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7