The Congressman Who Went Off the Grid

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by stg58, Jan 4, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Looks like nice setup,one guy with common sense. He spoke what he thought and had the common sense to leave the zoo called congress.

140103_koebler_roscoebartlett_newcabin_p.

When Roscoe Bartlett was in Congress, he latched onto a particularly apocalyptic issue, one almost no one else ever seemed to talk about: America’s dangerously vulnerable power grid. In speech after late-night speech on the House floor, Bartlett hectored the nearly empty chamber: If the United States doesn’t do something to protect the grid, and soon, a terrorist or an act of nature will put an end to life as we know it.

Bartlett loved to conjure doomsday visions: Think post-Sandy New York City without power—but spread over a much larger area for months at a time. He once recounted a conversation he claimed to have had with unnamed Russian officials about how they could take out the United States: They would “detonate a nuclear weapon high above your country,” he recalled them saying, “and shut down your power grid—and your communications—for six months or so.”

Roscoe Bartlett: The Congressman Who Went Off the Grid - POLITICO Magazine

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Tyler Danann, Dont, hammer502 and 3 others like this.
  2. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

Yeah it's a shame that when someone points out the emperor truly isn't wearing clothes everyone just plugs their ears and says 'la la la' and returns to their own fantasy land...

3. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

I was able to see Roscoe Bartlett speak on the topic of EMP's at a convention in Chattanooga last March, and if you ever get the chance to see him speak I recommend it. If you hang out on forums like this, you probably won't learn anything that you don't already know, but he's a good speaker and it's a pleasure nonetheless.

One thing that really sticks out in my mind is that where everyone else uses PowerPoint to give a presentation, he uses the classic poster boards on a stand. Not sure what that shows more - his age, or an aversion to reliance on electricity.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7