The dark green patch

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by oil pan 4, Jul 29, 2022.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Using DEF as fertilizer.
    With "fertilizer shortages" looming the thought had crossed my mind.

It looks like he used a tiny amount for a 10x10 square patch of lawn.
    What suburban farmers do (people with a green lawn) might not seem important. But I bet cows and steers would eat that dark green grass down to the dirt.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Just looked up Def Blue 67% water, 33% urea (nitrogen) not cheap 2.5 gallons $48-$78 dollars don't know what the application rate for use in a garden

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

4.5oz for every 1000 sq ft.

Lowes has it for $16.30 for a 2.5 gallon bucket right now.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Thats a better price than amazon -----4.5 oz---- 2.5 gallows will go a long way

Gator 45/70 and enloopious like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Get a couple dogs and make your own nitrates! LOL
    Seriously, a years worth collected and mulched in a 4X12 bed of topsoil will spread to a 50X50 patch nicely, and that's just 1 Dog, imagine 3! LOL

If you can burn off your stubble, add the ash to your mix and you can thin it even more!

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Farmer Above
    S

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Dog poop is compostable but it's got to be done correctly-- there can be a lot of parasites and bacteria in dog poop --just beware

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Dogs like to piss on the same spot and kill the grass.
    Here's another way to get endless water soluble nitrogen free of government interface, taxation, ect.

I'm thinking add this to my tap water which has a pH of about 8 and bring it down to a rain water like 6.
    Using tap water makes my alkaline soil more alkaline. It would take a drop of 78% nitric to bring the pH of about 20 gallons of water to rain water level.
    I like where the end of this video goes.
    There's an oil burner transformer sitting on top of the scrap metal pile at work...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    enloopious, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

DEF is sold from the pump at truck stops, saw it for less than 4 dollars a gallon last week.

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Getting good bulk DEF from next to a pump is the way to go.

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I looked it up, a person only makes between 3 and 8 kilo grams of urea per year.
    A fruit tree needs about 1/10th of a pound per year of age. So a smol tree only needs a fraction of a pound, but a fully mature tree that's say 20 years old needs 2lb per year, preferably all in the spring.
    For corn you need 40 to 50 lb of urea per acre prior to planting and 100 lb when the corn be between 18'' and 3 feet tall.
    There's between 22,000 to 35,000 plants per acres with 30,000 plants being ideal, 43,650Sq ft per acre. One plant every 1.5 to 2 square feet.
    So let's assume one person pisses out 7lb per year on the low end so you have healthy corn not stunted, zero yield corn.
    So in theory one person could fertilize about 2,000 square feet or about 1000 to 1,500 corn plants. 2,000 square feet is about a 45'x45' square. It would be considerably less given the steady application over the course of the year and not bring able to dump 1/3 of the needed fertilizer before planting then 2/3 whem the stalks areally less than half grown. I'm going to say you need to be able to pee on each one at least a few times during the 100 days of growing. Probably need to pee on each one at least once in the first 30 days. Probably get 3 to 6 corn plants with the morning brew, then 2 each pee throughout the day.
    No wonder they didn't grow hardly any fruit trees during the dark ages.
    If each acre needs 150lb, for 30,000 plants that comes out to about 2 grams per plant total. Morning pee is up to 3gm and each day pee is probably about one. Womens can only hit one plant at a time due to hardware differences.
    Calculating crop yields and fertilizer spread is like 6th grade maths. Lots of people be die'in if they had to grow their own food.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

And here, women thought we were nuts, for peeing on the bushes, outside! ;)

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7